1972 Uneven Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Looking to purchase a property and spotted some of the external brickwork is a bit strange. Uneven and half-sized bricks.

House was built 1972. Is this typical of the era, and is it anything to worry about?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1000031460.jpg

Attachments

• 20240229_222332.jpg
    20240229_222332.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
It’s just stretcher bond with some broken bond in that area….I must admit it does look at bit weird…probably structurally strong though.

Mostly the rest of it seems ok, the perps seem in line.

It’s just stretcher bond with some broken bond in that area….I must admit it does look at bit weird…probably structurally strong though.

Mostly the rest of it seems ok, the perps seem in line.
Thanks! Really appreciate the advice :) have to admit it does make the perfectionist in me scream a bit!

Also, on row 3 down from the bottom of the windows, every so often there is a thicker perp. Do you happen to know what this might be or indicate?? Thank you again :)

Attachments

• 20240229_224408.jpg
    20240229_224408.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 27
The thicker perps are putlog holes, where the scaffold was.
You can't always avoid a broken bond in brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Ah thank you, mystery solved! If you have any other comments at all please let me know. Thank you again!

It's a bit unusual that the upper floor frames don't line up at all with any of the ground floor ones. It's possible that the upper floor is a later addition. If you look at the first course of the unpainted brickwork it runs to a few straight joints with the brickwork below in the centre pier. These things are more cosmetic than being a serious structural fault. Could be why they painted the bottom.
Looks like it has CWI.

It's a bit unusual that the upper floor frames don't line up at all with any of the ground floor ones. It's possible that the upper floor is a later addition. If you look at the first course of the unpainted brickwork it runs to a few straight joints with the brickwork below in the centre pier. These things are more cosmetic than being a serious structural fault. Could be why they painted the bottom.
Looks like it has CWI.
Ah thank you and yes I see what you mean! The top non-painted portion are also offset by about half a inch, which is the same on all the houses around there.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does CWI stand for?

CWI is cavity wall insulation. The small drill holes are the clue at the base of some of the perps. You can improve the look of the putlog holes by cutting out the joints and filling with a coloured mortar. You then rake out a 10mm joint and fill with standard mortar to match the original.

CWI is cavity wall insulation. The small drill holes are the clue at the base of some of the perps. You can improve the look of the putlog holes by cutting out the joints and filling with a coloured mortar. You then rake out a 10mm joint and fill with standard mortar to match the original.
Ah of course! Yes thank you for the advice will bear it mind. The exterior also has 2x airbricks on the white painted sections (not shown in pics). I am under the impression these become redundant once CWI is in?

If they were installed to ventilate the cavity, then they would be redundant. You'd need to check they don't go through to the inside. Sometimes used for ventilation for fires, woodburners, boilers, or condensation issues.

If they were installed to ventilate the cavity, then they would be redundant. You'd need to check they don't go through to the inside. Sometimes used for ventilation for fires, woodburners, boilers, or condensation issues.
Ok thank you so much for the advice and guidance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back