Is this uneven brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, We're having a load-bearing wall knocked down and having an RSJ put in. The builder is putting in some brickwork to support the RSJ on either side. Having seen this brickwork I have become concerned that the brickwork is very uneven. My girlfriend thinks that since the bricks will be covered up with plaster, it doesn't matter, but I'm not convinced.

Do you think this is OK and I should let it go? Or should I say something to the builder?

Thanks for your help :)

qFKiJV4.jpg
Ka9z0mi.jpg

Sponsored Links
Who ever built it is certainly no bricklayer.
The perps have not been buttered and filled. No attempt has been made to plumb the nib up, but most importantly has the nib been tied one way or another to the existing structure. We very much doubt it.
As your girl friend has said, it will all be covered up at the end of the day, but that is no excuse for such sub standard workmanship.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
Do you mean why speak to the builder? if it's shoddy work, I feel like I should query the builder and maybe he should provide a remedy.

Yes why bother, feel free to tell him that his brickwork is shoddy (it is) but it won't effect its stability but in reality if the plaster is not a donut then afterwards no one will be any the wiser. If you have areas of exposed brickwork still to be done then obviously the builder needs to employ a decent bricky. Depends if its a sign of things to come as well I guess .....

Fair enough, oldun suggested above that the nib may not be tied to the wall, which I guess may affect safety?

Also as the bricks are uneven, the opening will be a little bit smaller. Probably won't care a year's time, but nonetheless....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back