Buying old house - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying an old house, which I love, however am a bit worried and could do with some advice.
The house is a beautiful character property and if it was more "done up" we wouldn't be able to afford one of its size.
However, the ceilings look uneven and are wallpapered over, the floorboards upstairs are also uneven and very creaky, there is wallpaper all over the flat so it's hard to see what the conditions of the walls are like...

How much would this concern you? Are there any questions I should be asking about these things? And what is worse case scenario - would dodgy ceiling be fixable?

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about ceiling cracks and such like.....activity on the floor above can easily disturb lath and plaster.
Ceilings can be easily boarded over and skimmed.
My main concerns would be a search for wet and (god forbid) dry rot, and evidence of the furniture beetle (woodworm).
Roof and flashing condition is vital, also ensuring that outside land isn't too high.
John :)

+1. So much character in older properties, and dont expect straight lines everywhere, methods were much more primitive back then. Cosmetic work is easily sorted, as John advises, check for rot, water penetration. Look at gutters, downpipes etc, if in poor condition may need replacing. Ditto windows, doors and exterior woodwork.

If the externals are sound then the internals are easy enough usually to bring round. May find a few cracks, plaster that falls off etc, but mostly can be patched up fairly easily, if too far gone then at worst a bit of plastering and/or dry lining needed to fix it up. Good luck with your purchase.

I am in the process of buying an old house, , there is wallpaper all over the flat
I would worry about who is the freeholder and what £ charges apply IF it's a flat - particularly in The Smoke ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry not sure why I said it was a flat, it's a freehold house!

Thanks so much for the advice - it's very reassuring and makes me think I should go for it.

The external brickwork looks pretty good. I will have another look around and take note of the warning signs you suggest

Thanks again

Its often what you cant see that hides the problems. If possible look in every corner, lift floorboards and look underneath, look in the attic, lift manhole covers. How old is the boiler, the electrics etc. Anything looks freshly decorated ask yourself what could it be hiding. If still unsure, take a photo, put it up on here and someone will soon advise you usually. No good getting the inside nice if the elements are going to come in and join you.

Do you know any knowledgeable people that can come with you when you do your investigations? Lots to forget if you're on your own!
Is the seller prepared for you to be there for longer than the cursory 10 minutes :p
As Hugh suggests, get some pics of the roof, ridge, drain pipes and any discoloured brickwork and post them up here.....external water tightness is essential!
Best of luck if you go for it.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back