1980s house: do I really need a full rewire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

We just bought a 4 bed detached which was built in 1985. My builder who is a fair chap after a visit suggested I need a full rewire because the system is old, the fuse box is old, not up to the recent regulation etc. He quoted £4.5k for a job that would run for 1-1.5 month. Now I’d like to validate his statement, please see the pictures attached. I opened one light switch and one two-gang power socket. I see there is the ground wire present. Also, I’d like to install electric underfloor heating in a few rooms, add more sockets in the kitchen and near the flat screen etc. Would like to hear people opinion on this.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Simply put, you need to do one of 2 things

1) Get 2 other quotes for a rewire, and to take 4 to 6 weeks is rediculous, unless there are any particulary difficult circumstances

2) commsision a periodic inspection report or an Electrical Installation condition report. This will be an unbias that will let you know the current condition of the wiring, highlighting any dangerous or potentially dangerous issues. You can then discuss this report with the electricain with regards to the safety, rectification or improvement of the wiring taking into account your situation or your intendend future demands. depending on where you live £180 to £350 would be a usual amount to pay for this report

The only real way to find out is by having a conditional report done on your installation.
It would be hard to judge, just by looking at what you have in place.

Sponsored Links
As PrenticeBoyofDerry said, you need to get a Electrical Installation Condition Report done before you commit to anything. If the house was built in the 80's and the test results meet current criteria - you would probably only need to have the Consumer Unit brought up to standard - if that.
The question I have to ask is why you didn't get the EICR done before you bought the house. It would have given you significant leverage to reduce the price by several thousand pounds.

the multistrand brown/blues in the socket look like a DIYer has been at work.
The brown core looks like it's been split and bodged up!

Nah someone has tried to twist the stranded with the single core. As mentioned DIY stuff.

As for the system, only testing will tell the good, the bad and the ugly.

You might find a new fuse board to 17th ed, a few new circuits for the intended new features and moving over the majority of existing circuits is viable.

At 30 years of age you might want to think about how much life the existing cabling and fittings have left. Mega / resistance testing will guide your decision, although if you are topping and tailing each room I'd suggest changing the room wiring as you do each room.
There's no hard and fast rule to ageing, but 30-40 years is in scope for a full rewrite.

People have always reduced the asking price already to allow for this.
Or (at least in circles I move in) increased the initial asking price if they knew/suspected that an EICR was going to result in attempts on the part of prospective buyers to knock the price down!

Kind Regards, John.

Hmmm. The most basic concept of haggling is obviously to start by asking for a price appreciably higher than the price one is prepared to accept - and that concept remains the same regardless of what reasons one anticipate prospective buyers may wheel out when making lower offers.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back