1998 jeep cherokee starter problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it all started yesterday when i went to replace a fuse for my heater and check a few other thing. So i drove my jeep into the garage (started perfectly fine), parked it, opened up the fuse box, looked through the fuses to fine the blown ones, found it and replaced it. Went to start the jeep to find that the jeep starts when i turn the key to battery on position and the starter never stops turning. I realize that changing the fuse is probably completely non-related to the problem, but i figured i should mention it anyways. Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have somehow getting power to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition on. First place I would look is at the ignition barrel.

how would i know if the ignition barrel is the problem?

also this is what ive narrowed the possible problems down to:

-starter
-starter solenoid (though id have to change the whole starter to replace this part anyways)
-ignition switch
-ignition barrel
-possible short somewhere inbetween the battery and the starter/starter and ignition

Sponsored Links
It will involve you checking the switch wire to the solenoid with a volt meter. What voltage is you system, I seem to remember some jeeps are 24v?
If you connect a voltmeter between the chassis and the small wire on the starter solenoid, when you turn the ignition barrel on there should be no voltage. Only when you turn the key to start position the car supply voltage should be aparrent, when you release the key the voltage should return to 0v. Be very careful or moving parts when working in the engine bay.

Back