1998 (S) VW Polo 6N -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1998 (S) VW Polo 6N 1.6 GL

Removed the pedal box yesterday to weld the clutch cable guide arm. After refitting everything, I now find that the brake light is always on as the brake pedal doesn't return far enough to meet the brake light switch - (it's about 5mm short). I can also hear the brakes rubbing slightly when the car is moving.

Have I refitted something incorrectly or is it possible that I damaged something when I refitted the pushrod into the clip in the back of the brake pedal?

Help!

Sponsored Links
Its possible that your brake light switch is jammed, to reset the switch just pull the lever out of the switch until it touches the pedal arm then apply the brakes and it will reset to the correct position. As long as the pedal box itself is sitting flush against the firewall there shouldnt be anything out of place as such, are the brakes definalty sticking on or is it just light surface corrosion thats making the noise. If you can move the vehicle in neutral its most likely fine.

Thanks for the reply sisize.

I eventually figured out the adjustment on the brake light switch - after stripping down again to check everything was fitted correctly!

I've been driving the car around for a few days now and I'm 99% certain the noise I can hear is nothing to do with the brakes and is totally unrelated to the repair on the pedal box. I can push the car in neutral easily so it's unlikely the brakes are rubbing.

So I fixed one major problem, now I gotta figure out what the noise is. Possibly a wheel bearing or clutch thrust bearing . . .

Sponsored Links
Hi, I am in the same situation after a clutch bracket repair, I have adjusted the brake light switch, but the brakes are definatly on slightly. I have jacked the car and nether the front or back wheels move freely?

Any ideas?

Back