1999 Zafira misting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not long had this car, when its cold outside and you attempt to demist windscreen the whole of the car condensates and you can,t see out of the windows etc. Only clears with air con on. Gets expensive on long journies. Any clues please. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the heater is set to "fresh air" and not "recirculate?"

Is there any sign of a water leak, e.g. damp carpets including in boot?

If you have previously been running the air con, it will have acquired a bit of condensation inside - you have to run it for a short time with air con off for this to evaporate. This becomes a vicious circle, when I had the prob I used to run the heater with the windows open for a couple of minutes while the humidity dropped.

Check for a blocked drain from the bottom of the heater/air con unit in car, if this is blocked, condensation from cold air con collects then evaporates into heater air and mists up screen. it's a common problem with air con cars.
The cooled air from the air con unit is dehumidified by the cooling process and this is where the excess water comes from and also explains why using air con demists quicker than hot air, because the air is drier.

Thanks for the replies and helpful suggestions, makes sence what is happening now. Have been advised by neighbour who knows everything to remove pollen filter, is this good advice or just the ramblings of has been.???

Sponsored Links
What age is the Zafira? my 2003 astra used to steam up badly, but a simple change of pollen filter remidied it.

i'd try that first off.

cj

Its 1999 T , no probs in summer, only in cold. Pollen filter replaced last week on service, still the same. Thanks for replying. Will carry out the previous checks when no kids around so could be a few weeks to see if prob cleared. Thanks again and any furhter tips greatfully received

JACKC said:
. Have been advised by neighbour who knows everything to remove pollen filter, is this good advice or just the ramblings of has been.???
:LOL: :LOL: The one on my 97 Astra got wet all the time and I`ve left it out for years now...don`t get hayfever anyway :rolleyes:

Nige F said:
JACKC said:
. Have been advised by neighbour who knows everything to remove pollen filter, is this good advice or just the ramblings of has been.???
:LOL: :LOL: The one on my 97 Astra got wet all the time and I`ve left it out for years now...don`t get hayfever anyway :rolleyes:
OOI, is the pollen filter really nessecary if you dont suffer from hayfever?? or is there another reason for it?

Sponsored Links
Back