Zafira 1999 battery light issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My 1.6 comfort Zafira is intermittently showing the battery light. This causes the dash lights to dim and the PAS to cut out. The light does go out after about 15 seconds but its happening more often, can happen after starting with heaters on etc or just driving under normal load.

Battery voltage is good and so is charge from alternator when light is not on. I haven't managed to test it when the light is on but would assume it would be less.
I am going to check the connections on the back of the alternator for tightness if I can reach them. Are there any other tests/checks I can do before attempting to replace the alternator?

What is the best way to remove the alternator? I'd need to remove the air box and then the bottom bolt but I hear this can hit the inner wing. Do you remove the bottom bracket and then bolt at the top bracket? Please could someone let me know how to remove the alternator to give me a head start. A local garage want £280 to supply and fit and I cannot afford that.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan

It certainly sounds like an alternator problem, as you say, check the connections but I don't expect you will be that lucky, a replacement is what you will need.

Can't help you with fitting I'm afraid, not my sort of car but you can very often get much cheaper alternators on ebay.

Peter

Thanks both for the replies.

I'll probabily get one from ebay with a new belt and fit it. I've read you need to remove it by taking the drive belt tensioner bracket that the alternator bolts on to off. So I have an idea now.

I'll check the connections later if I can get to them and get on ebay tomorrow if they are OK.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't get my hand in even close to check the connections at the back of the alternator. The earth to the body is secure. I tried to make the light come on again but it only flashed and it didn't come on again.

I've found some good links on how to get access to the alternator see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJtQF6SNXVM

http://zafiradiy.weebly.com/throttle-body-remove.html

Should make accessing it a lot easier as I want to check the connections before spending £60-70 incase I don't need to and an idea on how easy it will be to replace.

Back