1999 1.6 Zafira stalling - fuel tank vent issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wanted to get some opinions on this issue.

Last week I replaced the alternator on my 1999 1.6 Zafira. When I removed the pipes from the back of the inlet pipe I noticed the pipe connected to the fuel vent valve that is connected to the charcoal canister was disconnected (looked to be ripped off) from the throttle body. I pulled the broken tubing off and pushed on the pipe.

Anyway battery light hasn't been on since so alternator did the trick.

HOWEVER my wife was driving to work today and car stalled at about 50mph and 8 miles from our house. No warning lights just cut out.

Tonight I took it for a drive along the same route and it stalled at the exact same place!

So I popped the bonnet and pulled the pipe off. Car started mine and I managed to drive at least 14 miles with no problems.

Now I am thinking that as we have had no issues for 4 months of ownership and 6 days after connecting this pipe that appeared to have been taken off its started to stall. Not a lot of miles have been completed before today.

I think either the pipe might have been kinked or the hole on the throttle body is blocked and so this vent is not venting and is causing it to run dry of fuel and stall.

Does this seem viable? Looking at the internet it appears the cause I guess only time will tell.

Sorry about the essay.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Yes could well be blocked. Try some carburettor cleaner in the throttle
body and a small piece of copper wire to rod the drilling clean.

Just leave it disconnected until MOT time, if your stuck

Sponsored Links
Back