1st Fix Kitchen Ring "capping"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, ive got a builder coming that is going to board my ceiling and plaster my walls and he asked me to get the Kitchen Ring Main installed to 1st fix standard before he comes back (to keep cost and time down) and he told me that before he comes back to make sure the electrics are chased out the wall and "capped off" and 1st fix is done.

i dont do domestic electrics and never have, the training ive been given is just for the commercial testing i do on equipment..

i have no problem with the ring main side of it and zones and all of that, but having never done an apprenticeship or domestic training im unsure what capping i should use and how to do it?

the only videos ive been able to find online either suggest just clipping to the wall and bonding over.. or using round pipe conduit and then again bonding over them...

im on a limited budget so want the cheapest option but at the same time the work has to be done by the book or the builder wont do anymore of the work

Sponsored Links
Most importantly, it also needs to be tested, signed off and approved for building control.
So your only realistic option is to bring in an electrician.

Slightly bemused that your builder doesn't have an electrician he can bring in?

There is no one way to do it, it's all down to personal preference as to which technique you use.

If you're back to brick and there will be a decent amount of plaster added you won't need to chase for the cables, if not, chase back to brick.

As for the actual capping, you can use whatever you want, oval conduit, pvc or steel channel etc.

For fixing capping to the wall you can use, capping nails, t&e clips (rough) screws and penny washers (my personal favourite)

If you are chasing out for cable drops make them wider than you think they need to be, will save you time in the long run

And of course, depending on the plasterer, you don't HAVE to cap, I always would but it's only really there to stop the trowel destroying it. The only time I would think about not capping would be if I was backfilling the chase myself

Thanks iggifer, as a final question, what's your take on flexible corrugated conduit? It seems to be very cheap I can get over 10M for very cheap and I assume that can have bonding in and around it to hold it in place??

Skotl, thanks for the heads up

Sponsored Links
There are regulations on chase depths that must be complied to.
A maximum of 1/6th of depth of leaf/skin of wall on horizontal chases and 1/3rd on the vertical.
There are no regulation/requirements to actually cap the cables, but if your builder feels that his plastering techniques are going to damage the cable, I guess I would. Then they only need be plastic, in that case.

PrenticeBoyofDerry Meant to said:
A maximum of 1/6th of depth of leaf/skin of wall on horizontal chases and 1/3rd on the vertical.
:LOL:

Thanks iggifer, as a final question, what's your take on flexible corrugated conduit?

If you use that, or round conduit, you will need to chase out the wall to make room for the conduit.

If capping is specified, it means that he doesn't trust the mix of your soft cables and his plasterer's sharp trowel.

Just use this stuff to cover the cables which can then go on the wall surface without having to chop out brickwork..
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTCAP25.html

im on a limited budget so want the cheapest option but at the same time the work has to be done by the book or the builder wont do anymore of the work
Are you also trying to keep costs down by not applying for Building Regulations approval (which is very much not by the book)?

Yea I wouldn't bother with flexi conduit, I only really see this used for data cables (not to say I haven't seen it used for power) but PVC or even Steel capping is cheap as chips anyway

Are you also trying to keep costs down by not applying for Building Regulations approval (which is very much not by the book)?

If there is an existing circuit that is being modified for a replacement kitchen (Doesn't say so, but quite likely), then no approvals are required?

If there is an existing circuit that is being modified for a replacement kitchen (Doesn't say so, but quite likely), then no approvals are required?
That could well be true. However, we don't really know whether this is a re-vamp of an existing kitchen or perhaps a new one (e.g. in an extension, or even a new build). In the latter case, there could well be one or more new circuits, hence notifiable work, involved.

Kind Regards, John

dabomb3k

uk.gif

Glamorgan,

United Kingdom

dabomb3k
Ah! If the Welsh don't get themselves aligned with English legislation fairly soon, I think there would be a case for suggesting that they (along with the Scots) should be exiled to Electrical forums of their own, and renaming this one "Electrics England" :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back