electrician signing off diy work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am halfway through doing up my house we have put 4 or 5 new double sockets on the upstairs ring main, and the same on the downstairs. The walls have been chased into from the floor for the new wire. My question is do I need somebody to sign off this work I have done or is it only for the bathroom/kitchen, where no electrical work has been done yet. If I do, do they need to see the cables coming up from the floor or can I plaster over them 1st
ps is the best way to get it signed off by electrician or bc?

Sponsored Links
If you have exended the existing ring final circuits in rooms other than kitchen & bathroom then no notification to LABC is required.

Please note: you should use an electrician to do work in notifiable places. Most registered electricians are only permitted to self-certify and notify work they have done themselves.
They can't and/or won't sign off work you have done.

Thanks for the quick reply

If i was to do the work in the kitchen, and got bc in to sign it off, would that work out cheaper.
are bc very picky, would they want to see all the new cableing before i put them into the walls, is it a big hassle to get them in?
sorry theres some many questions.

Sponsored Links
You'd have to pay the BC notification fee (around £2-300), then they'd want to see it at first fix then come back and test after 2nd fix.

However, depending where you are, some BC's are (illegally) claiming that the homeowner must pay to have a spark do the testing and produce the certificates. The regulations clearly state this should come under the BC's expense, however some are ignoring this.

Depending on the work your doing it may well work out far cheaper and simpler just to get a spark in to do the work. You may even find that if you discuss the job with the spark, he'll be willing to let you do the grunt work, ie chasing out walls and running the cables (to his design) reducing the cost to yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back