2.0 2014 Insignia loses power when accelerating hard. Apparent boost leak but where?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a 2014 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTI.

I had a garage replace the timing belt and water pump kit on it a few weeks ago. when I got the car back I thought it felt a little slower than usual particularly when driving uphill.
it seemed to got worse as time went on and about a week ago I was accelerating hard when suddenly it hit a flat spot and wouldn't accelerate further as though in limp mode. if the engine is turned off and back on its ok until its accelerated hard again which then the problem repeats.

if the car is driven gently without putting my foot down and not accelerating hard, it drives fine .

The other day I took my car back to the garage who did the timing belt and he put his code reader on it, he said there are no codes for cambelt issues but one for a boost leak,
He looked at the intercooler hose which is common on these but it seems fine and besides I only put a brand new one on it about 8 weeks ago because the old one had a split in it ( I'm wondering now if the boost leak code is relevant now or if it was an old code from when the old hose had a split in it, before the current issue )

Does anyone have any ideas, it will be much appreciated .

thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy a code reader and read code. Not much use guessing. There might be cheap ones in china.

Sponsored Links
The garage couldn't find the issue ? Try another

He hasn't had it in to look it over he checked the hose which is common but it's fine because I recently replaced it.
He said I can book it in and he can look it over but before that I was asking for things I can check myself .

He hasn't had it in to look it over he checked the hose which is common but it's fine because I recently replaced it.
He said I can book it in and he can look it over but before that I was asking for things I can check myself .
The other day I took my car back to the garage who did the timing belt and he put his code reader on it, he said there are no codes for cambelt issues but one for a boost leak,
He looked at the intercooler hose which is common on these but it seems fine and besides I only put a brand new one on it about 8 weeks ago because the old one had a split in it ( I'm wondering now if the boost leak code is relevant now or if it was an old code from when the old hose had a split in it, before the current issue )

Sounded like you had taken it with the issue

Clear codes, if it returns then maybe they disturbed something when doing the belt.
check the boost pressure sensor is actually connected.
if it performed well before the belt change chances are something they have done isn’t right.

Clear codes, if it returns then maybe they disturbed something when doing the belt.
check the boost pressure sensor is actually connected.
if it performed well before the belt change chances are something they have done isn’t right.

I might be over thinking that it felt slower after the timing belt replacement, but I did think it felt slower particularly when driving uphill, then not long after it now has this fault that when accelerating harder it goes into limp mode which feels like speed limiter has just switched on. When engine is switched off and back on it's ok again unless accelerated hard and then the issue repeats.

I can ask them to clear the codes and see if it returns, I can't do it because I do not have the code reader.

do you think it could be that the belt wasn't fitted correctly? (even though apparently there are no codes for cambelt issues) or something else like as you mentioned perhaps something like a sensor was disturbed or could be something different .

thanks

You can get a cheap code reader from amazon for about £15 and then download the “car scanner” app. Link them via bluetooth. Plug in, start the car and read the codes then delete them.

Worked ok on my sons insignia.

I might be over thinking that it felt slower after the timing belt replacement, but I did think it felt slower particularly when driving uphill, then not long after it now has this fault that when accelerating harder it goes into limp mode which feels like speed limiter has just switched on. When engine is switched off and back on it's ok again unless accelerated hard and then the issue repeats.

I can ask them to clear the codes and see if it returns, I can't do it because I do not have the code reader.

do you think it could be that the belt wasn't fitted correctly? (even though apparently there are no codes for cambelt issues) or something else like as you mentioned perhaps something like a sensor was disturbed or could be something different .

thanks
Too difficult to guess at really but I’d still suspect a boost leak somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Back