2.5 T+E in conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to use 2.5 T+E in conduit or is it better to use single cables in conduit for wiring in a New Garage

Sponsored Links
Better from what POV?

What sort of conduit?

What size?

What circuit topologies?

Why conduit? What are the external influences?

What type of accessories?

Do you live in England or Wales?

T&E is fine in conduit but can be a swine to pull through (i'm assuming we are talking conduit not trunking), singles are a better option, easier to pull through and have the number of cores/circuits you want/need. There are prescribed limits on the no. of conductors in a conduit that should be observed.

As BAS rightly says your choice is dictated by many factors including but not limited to the type of fittings you wish to use, the route you want it to take and the general environment.

T&E is fine in conduit but can be a swine to pull through (i'm assuming we are talking conduit not trunking), singles are a better option, easier to pull through and have the number of cores/circuits you want/need. There are prescribed limits on the no. of conductors in a conduit that should be observed.

As BAS rightly says your choice is dictated by many factors including but not limited to the type of fittings you wish to use, the route you want it to take and the general environment.

Sponsored Links
Bettter because its easier to pull through
25mm round pvc conduit surface mounted
Six double sockets on ring main + 2 lighting circuits
I live in england

It seems to me that " Ban - All - Sheds" instead of offering advice is trying to put obsticals in my path why I ask myself can this be

I'm not putting a single obstacle in your path.

Maybe I should be asking you why it could be that you aren't reading my posts properly....

Singles.
Is that an obstacle, or an answer to your question?

Why conduit?
Knowing why you want conduit would help us give the best advice, which might be to not use conduit at all.

Six double sockets on ring main
Plastic?
Knowing the type of sockets along with the reason for conduit in the first place would help us advise on whether you've chosen the right sort, and also to look at how you're going to terminate 25mm PVC conduit into the accessory enclosures.

Why a ring?
1) A ring may not be the most appropriate design.

2) If it is then you might like to know of a good way to wire it up using singles in conduit. Or you might not, if you think that all you need to know are the answers to only the questions you think to ask.

When you applied for Building Regulations approval what did you say would be the way you would comply with Part P?
If you, by default or by unthinkingly copying the standard text from your LABCs website said that the electrics would be done by a registered electrician then the answer to

"Is it OK to use 2.5 T+E in conduit or is it better to use single cables in conduit for wiring in a New Garage"

is "Don't worry, your electrician will know", because if you go ahead and DIY your LABC will probably refuse you a completion certificate.

But if you regard being asked things to help us give the best advice we can as obstacles in your path then perhaps you should just go away.

Six double sockets on ring main + 2 lighting circuits
I live in england

Geome, I don't think BAS is being obtuse or putting obstacles in your way, but there are a lot of things to consider when choosing the right system to do conduit work, as professional electricians who do this everyday its secondnature but when we are advising a DIYer it helps to know as much as possible. In response to the above

Singles are far easier to thread in conduit than T&E - fact. They are multistranded where as T&E is mostly single core with two sets of insulation therefore much stiffer.

It would be unusual to take 25mm right up to a socket, look around you when you are out and about, 20mm is adequate and looks right, most boxes are part punched for 20mm adapters.

Use metal sockets or if you use plastic you will need PVC conduit backboxes.

Use female adapters unless there is a special reason to use male ones.

Make sure the CU you choose will take round conduit, a small metalclad one is probably the best option.

Buy a bending spring to bend your conduit but remember to use sufficient inspection boxes to thread the wiring through.

If needs be run a 25mm round the perimeter and drop off from this in 20mm with BESA T boxes and reducing sleeves.

When you lace up your wiring remember to indicate what each wire does, nick the wire at the end with side cutters to identify, ie; one nick lights, two nicks ring etc..

Don't forget 30mA RCD protection.

To comply with the law this must be notified to local authority building control, cntact your council before you start to explain what you are doing, they will then come and certify when you are done.

As BAS has pointed out "Garage" covers many buildings from a store room built onto a house to an industrial building where cars are repaired.

With the latter some good protection is required and at least Ali-tube cable and more likely mineral insulated or steel wire armoured would be used. Metal conduit has a problem as so inflexible and often we want to move machines however under concrete likely the best option.

But in a domestic store room then likely it does not need protecting to that stage and my garage has plastic consumer units supplying house and surface twin and earth cable.

I have said this again and again its all down to a risk assessment and one can't really remote from job advise on best cable.

But the comments on how hard it is to draw T&E through conduit are very valid and I would avoid combining the two if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back