2.5 TRANSIT WONT SRART

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in the bad weather the trani wouldnt start, thanks to everyone explaining the problem of no heater plugs, during that time i throught i had burnt the starter motor out as the ignition was only clicking.
i got a starter from my local scappy, he put it on a battery and it wizzed round, so that should be fine, fitted it , but the ignition is still only clicking and the starter is not turning, i also fitted a new battery, and my charger is telling me the battery is fully charged. anybody got any ideas ?
tanks neil :( :( :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
Battery under seat?? Check the batt earth main wire, it has a fuseable link! Also where it bolts to the body can go high resistance too!

battery under bonnet, drivers side, when u turn ignition dash board lights light up but then it just clicks with the turn of key
neil :!:

Have you tried attaching jump leads from the battery negative terminal to the engine block? This will test the earth/negative connection.

Sponsored Links
what year is the van, also what does the led do by the interior light? it should go out if the van recognisees the key.

its an r reg.the led does go out once the key has been in for a few secounds, so its not the immobilizer,
will try the jump lead from the battery neg to the engine block tomorrow, heater fans and lights etc are working.
when i first had trouble starting , there was some electrical smoke and burning smell come from round the starter, which i thought was the starter, thats why it wouldnt work, could it have been somthing else as this starter doesnt work either :?: :?:

I think it would be an idea to remove the positive lead from the starter and check the crimped end carefully...if there is electrical resistance here then things will heat up and burn. With that done, and a jump lead onto the engine from the battery negative terminal, something has to happen - so long as the replacement starter is good.
John :)

have tried jump lead to engine no change , so the earth must be alright,ive even run a jump lead to the positive on the starter from the pos on the battery, no change, theres a black and red wire running from the back of the starter to a black cylinderical part with loads of differant coloured wires going in and out of it by the side of the battery, could this have anything to do with it, the only other thing is the starter is broke, but it wizzed round when tested at the scrap yard, it also seems strange that two starters, the original and this one are faulty,
comming back to the imobilizer light, when the key is put in the led stops on for a few secounds then goes i think thats what it should do
neil

just tried putting the jump leads on anouther car and putting the the pos on the starter, neg on battrires conected to give earth through other car, still no life in starter, so it looks like it will have to come off again at least it is easy to do, not like the parero ive got.
neil

just tried putting the jump leads on anouther car and putting the the pos on the starter, neg on battrires conected to give earth through other car, still no life in starter, so it looks like it will have to come off again at least it is easy to do, not like the parero ive got.
neil

2 things

1st are the jump leads definately ok?????
2nd, whereabouts on the starter are you connecting your live jump lead, hope you are connecting to the switch terminal and not just onto the live as i suspect you are

the jump leads are a good set, good thick ones in full woking order, u may be right about where i am connecting pos lead, the one im using is the large pos on the left of starter looking at it insitu, which one should it be connected too,the only other connections r a one on the back with a red and black smallish wire on, and the neg on the fixing bolt :oops:

the jump leads are a good set, good thick ones in full woking order, u may be right about where i am connecting pos lead, the one im using is the large pos on the left of starter looking at it insitu, which one should it be connected too,the only other connections r a one on the back with a red and black smallish wire on, and the neg on the fixing bolt :oops:

small black and red wire is the switch wire mate, thats where you should put your jump lead OR you could try and get a screwdriver and bridge it from the main heavy live of the starter motor to the switch terminal itself, obviously with the ignition turned on (dashboard lights on )
if it turns over / starts like that then your fault is either somewhere on the black/red wire or the starter solenoid itself, more than likely the switch wire tho

thanks for the the advice. will try it tomorrow, if it is the solinoid where do i find it, as you probably guess am new to this game, is it on the side of the starter or up by the battery. lets hope its just the wire, thanks again neil

The solenoid is on the top of the starter mate - a cylindrical thing with one large (battery) wire connection and one small terminal.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back