2.5mm swa max load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to power an electric hob with an 2.5mm 3 core swa(pvc) cable. The max load on the hob will be 7.2kw. The cable will be a dedicated circuit(no other loads) and the hob is approx 6 meters from the distribution board.

Thanks,
Paddy.

Sponsored Links
I would say proberly no.
Not got the book handy
That cable is rated about 30 amp and the nearest mcb is 32a so I would say 4mm if swa was required.

Sponsored Links
7.2kw is around 32 amps.

2.5mm PVC SWA clipped direct will take 28amps.

Theoretically it is a no brainer.....

However.......What about diversity? (you do not say if this is domestic or commercial).

BUT

For the price difference, and to do a pukka install, is 4 or even 6mm going to set you back much on a 6m run :eek:

For the price difference, and to do a pukka install, is 4 or even 6mm going to set you back much on a 6m run :eek:

Not a price issue and the swa cable is already in place. The cable was going to be used to feed a socket in a kitchen island. However, spec has changed from a gas to an induction hob and there is no other cable run through the subfloor so was checking to see if the 2.5mm swa could be used to supply the hob. 7.2kw would be the max load assuming all the rings were on.

Thanks,
Paddy..

Not a good idea tbh, I'd prefer to see the correct size cable for the overcurrent protection device given the load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back