2.5mm t&e and telephone cable query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...can anyone advise here please....

I need an outdoor electrical socket on the front of my house

The easiest way way to achieve, is a new dedicated feed from the consumer unit to the socket, but this would mean from floor to ceiling (2.4m), the 2.5mm T&E cable and a telephone cable going to my router, will be in the same piece of plastic trunking
FYI, i have a sky adsl router served by the telephone connection, but my laptop has a dedicated rj45 cable from the router (wifi is weak due to router and laptop being at different ends of the house)

I've read that this is not best practice (electrics and telephone housed together) from the point of view that i am likely to introduce the risk of noise on the telephone line which could then degrade my internet connectivity

I've seen that there are shield wraps for cables but not sure if any good

Anyone got any experience of cable wrap please or another solution please ?

Having to route both separately and keeping apart will be a major headache and likely the solution unsightly

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If you want some good light reading, you could have a look here! ;)

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mixed-cables-in-conduit.583323/

The problem isn't specifically a signal/noise issue, more an against the regs issue!
Extra low voltage wiring 'shouldn't' be in the same containment as mains cables.

Can you run a new section of mini trunking next to the existing?

Last edited:
Hi,

If you want some good light reading, you could have a look here! ;)

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mixed-cables-in-conduit.583323/

The problem isn't specifically a signal/noise issue, more an against the regs issue!
Extra low voltage wiring 'shouldn't' be in the same containment as mains cables.

Can you run a new section of mini trunking next to the existing?

thanks for the reply Grinch
i'll take a look at the thread shared likely before bedtime as i'm guessing it will put me to sleep so will save on the Ovaltine ;)

regarding trunking, yes i could i suppose have an addition piece of trunking alongside but it'll look a mess
appreciate that you are saying its against regs so i'll take a look into that as want it to all be above board but equally, don't want noise either

what a nuisance for a length of only 2.4m of cable where they need to be parallel :mad:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back