2 ceiling lights 2 switches? Need to remove 1 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to forum so hopefully this in the right place etc. I'm having a new kitchen and attempting to sort out the lighting but coming across some problems I hope somebody can help me with....

I have 2 light fittings on either side of the room. I also have 2 sets of switches (one double one single). The double switch operated both lights and the single switch operated just one light.

I do not use the single switch and always turn both lights on via the double switches so I have replaced this with a single and joined the connections so that it operates both lights. This worked absolutely fine by just joining all live and neutrals.

The next stage of my plan was to remove the other switch I do not use. In fact I'm going to use it for my conservatory wall light. After some trial and error I've realised this is not possible due to the fact that this switch is a switched live arrangement. What I now intend to do is replace the switch with a fused one and take a feed from the ring main for my wall light.

The problem I am left with is what to do with the wires left behind in this box. I have 2 cables comin in, one with an earth and a red wire, the other with an earth, red wire and black wire with red sleeving. I understand that the latter is the switched live. Last night I connected the switched live to one of the other red wires and this seemed to work (my other switch still operated both lights) but today when I turned the lights on the circuit tripped.

Have I done something wrong by joining a switched live with a live? Can anybody advise what I should do with these 3 wires?

Thanks

Oli

Sponsored Links
Spent the last 2 evenings working out exactly which cables do what, and now I've got it sorted. The switched live from the first switch went straight to the second switch therefore by joining this to the other cable in the second switch I have just extended the switched live to work both lights on one switch, which is what i wanted. Not sure why it was tripping before, possibly because the connection I made was a bit dodgy but working fine now.

On the bright side at least I now understand how my kitchen lighting is wired even if it did take me 2 days work out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back