2 cookers and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a Pyrolitic oven rated @16A and a Combination oven rated @16A in a midi stainless steel oven housing and an induction hob rated @32A in the worktop next to it.

Currently there is a 6mm cable feeding the existing stand alone Creda cooker (via 45A switch), with a 40A mcb in the disty unit. Which is no more than 10-15m from the cooker.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with the following questions.

At present it would be reasonably easy to change things about as I havn't got any kitchen cabinets and the walls are almost stripped of plaster.

1) can I power both ovens from one 6mm cable on a 32a mcb?

2) if so would i need to use seperate switches or can I use 1 45A for both ovens.

3) I am assuming I would need a seperate supply run in for the Hob, and I am assuming 6mm would be needed.

4) If I need seperate supplies for each oven then could I use 2.5mm cable?

Any other advice gratefully recieved

Thanks in advance

Bertie

Sponsored Links
1) Yes

2) If possible, i would use two separate DP switches, for the purposes of good design at least. Although there is nothing stopping you from using one.

3) Correct

4) If you were to have separate supplies:
although 2.5 would have the current carrying capabilities, it would be advisable to install two circuits with 6mmsq cable (in case somebody, wishes to change things later)

Option 4 (see below) would be the ideal solution to your problems (although the most troublesome and expensive)
Three radial circuits:

Cooker 1 6mmsq 16A RCBO ( ;) ;) FWL!)
Cooker 2 6mmsq 16A RCBO
Hop 6mmsq 32A RCBO
Three 45A cooker control switches

I cant see how question 1 & 2 would contravene British regs, but I'm sure FWL will point out any bad practice :)

If the two ovens are installed as one piece of equipment, then they can be fed from one supply, and we need to remember this is a domestic situation so there will be no Regs conflict here.

I agree that the hob needs to go on it's own circuit, it is a seperate piece of equipment from the ovens and should not share supplies. As BR has stated, 6mm2 can be used for this. Some may say 4mm2, but the potential loading of this means I would use 6mm2 to be safe.

Considering the ovens will share the supply, they should also share a common isolator, if you wish them to be seperate then they should have seperate supplies. If you choose to put in two seperate supplies for the ovens, 4mm2 cable will be sufficient.

As BR has posted, RCBO's are the preferred protective device.

Fistly thanks gents for your help, I really appreciate this site. Believe it or not I have papers (albeit from 22 years ago) as an industrial spark. But that was light years ago and mostly 3 phase. I never really did domestics until I bought this house...

I spoke to the shop where I am buying these (click4appliances) who recconed that the combi microwave might run off a 13A. Im not totally convinced but he was kind enough to read off the rating plate as just over 2kw. I wonser why De-Dietrich list this in their book as requiring a 16A supply?

In this case I might get away with using the microwave off the ringmain and using the 40a for oven and hob on the existing 6mm. This will save time and money.

Any input in this chaps?

Bertie

Sponsored Links
Fistly thanks gents for your help, I really appreciate this site. Believe it or not I have papers (albeit from 22 years ago) as an industrial spark. But that was light years ago and mostly 3 phase. I never really did domestics until I bought this house...

I spoke to the shop where I am buying these (click4appliances) who recconed that the combi microwave might run off a 13A. Im not totally convinced but he was kind enough to read off the rating plate as just over 2kw. I wonser why De-Dietrich list this in their book as requiring a 16A supply?

In this case I might get away with using the microwave off the ringmain and using the 40a for oven and hob on the existing 6mm. This will save time and money.

Any input in this chaps?

Bertie

Bertie, the Hob and the Oven cannot share the same supply, they are seperate bits of fixed equipment and this is not good, you get a problem with one, you lose both.

FWL_Engineer said:
Bertie, the Hob and the Oven cannot share the same supply, they are seperate bits of fixed equipment and this is not good, you get a problem with one, you lose both.
Just like an old-fashioned integrated cooker eh? How on earth did people manage......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back