2-core external grade cable, white - recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some 2-core lightweight cable to connect up an external temperature sensor for weather compensation on a boiler. Can anyone point me to something lightweight that comes in white, whilst also being suitable for external use (i.e. fixed to the outside brickwork of a house.)
Ta muchly.

Sponsored Links
'fraid not:

"The 309-Y is a heat resistant flexible copper conductor cable manufactured in accordance with standard BS EN 50525 Part 2-11 designed for internal wiring or supply cords to medium size electrical apparatus with a voltage rating of 300/500V. It is suitable for use where there is low risk of mechanical stresses in the application, such as on portable tools, washing machines, and other domestic appliances. This cable is not suitable for outdoor use or for direct laying on trays or in racks."

Sponsored Links
... This cable is not suitable for outdoor use or for direct laying on trays or in racks."
If the sheath is not UV-resistant, I can understand it not being suitable for outdoor use (which is what matters to the OP), but what is "not suitable for .... direct laying on trays or in racks" all about?

Mind you, T+E is also "not suitable for outdoor use", but I've seen many examples of it being used outdoors, 'exposed to the elements', for decades without coming to any harm!

Kind Regards, John

Zexum 0.75mm 2 Core Heat Resistant Flex Cable White 3092Y
Product Description | Reviews

ZoomIn.png
Enlarge Image
680.jpg
680-1.jpg

Sale.gif

£0.29
RRP £0.56 Save 48%

FREE
DELIVERY

OVER £50

EASY
RETURNS

FOR 30 DAYS*

BEST
PRICE

GUARANTEED*

5 STAR
RATINGS

ON REVIEWS

payment-icons.jpg

6 Amp Brown & Blue H05V2V2-F Light Duty Flexible Round Circular Wire for Heating uses up to 500V and 90°C such as Central Heating, Boiler Houses, Hot Presses, Time Clocks and Wiring Centers where an earth is not required.

A quality, well constructed product which is easily stripped and worked with.
0.75mm² copper conductor size, External diameter 6.8mm (Should be used with 6mm or 7mm Round White Clips)
2 Core cable with Brown & Blue coloured cores as indicators
Plain annealed high quality stranded copper conductor with double insulated PVC protector sheath (oversheath of heat resistant PVC)
Suitable for extra low (such as CCTV Supply) and low voltages up to a maximum of 500v
Suitable for temperatures between -5°C and +90°C

BASEC Approved and Certified to BS6500, CENELEC HD21.5, VDE 281 and BS EN 60228:2005 (previously BS6360)

General purpose flexible PVC cable suitable for use in high temperature domestic, commercial, indoor and outdoor conditions. It can be used for general electrical and security applications where there are high temperatures such as Power Tools, Ceiling Roses, Immersion Heaters, Washing Machines, Cookers and Refrigerators.

Which goes to show that not all 309-Y cables are created equal, and therefore one should check the spec. of the specific brand and type before buying.

I but what is "not suitable for .... direct laying on trays or in racks" all about?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I wondered about that. Agreed about T&E outdoors - the catenary to my garage lasted about 20 years before the sheath started to crack.

Yes, I wondered about that.
Indeed, it does seem rather odd!
Agreed about T&E outdoors - the catenary to my garage lasted about 20 years before the sheath started to crack.
Quite so - and a cable on a catenary is presumably a particularly 'bad' case, since it will be moving all the time. If adequately clipped to a wall (or whatever), even if the PVC eventually gets a bit brittle, it probably won't crack unless disturbed - I've certainly seen (and sometimes removed) clipped outdoor T+E which has been there for a lot longer than 20 years, without even any cracks being apparent.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the back and forth on this - when I read the product page initially I spotted the "...indoor and outdoor conditions." part of the description so am guessing this should be ok outside. The temp range of only going down to -5degrees concerns me more to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back