External Sun Flood Lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put up 4 External Sun Flood Lights 80watt each to a non-residential outbuilding.

I don't want to go down the road of fixing up a conduit or a metal trunking, nor do I want to use SWA (unless I have to!) , and would rather clip up a weather resistant cable externally to loop from one to the next, using suitable weatherproof glands. They will be fixed up 30ft from the ground.

Can anybody recommend a cable for doing this. Is arctic flex suitable - or is there a solid core alternative?

I will test it for safety, as I have gear to do so. And as its non-residential then I assume part p is uncalled for.

Sponsored Links
part p is not required, but as its non residential you need to be an electrician with insurance

FP200 is probably the best stuff to use, or if you know how to use it then I would personally go with MI cable.

Sponsored Links
Suppose you could use ti-tuff? As it non-domestic it will likely fall into the commercial/industrial stuff?? This will mean that amongst everything else it will fall under the electricity at work regs where the person carrying out the work must be "Competent to prevent danger and injury". This is one of the things the man from the HSE will hit you with a big stick for if something goes wrong ;) .

Thanks

I have seen loads of similar extrernal lights installed in pyro/fire cable, but I just wanted to make sure that that type of cable was suitable for all types of weather, and not just excessive heat.

Tlc do a 1.5mm fire-tuf cable in white along with glands and shrouds etc which look ideal!

However they also do a Hi-Tuf cable which is very similar to SWA, without the earthed sheath protection.

Can somebody please shed some light on the use of fire cable externally with ref to weathering & whether the Hi-Tuf would be better.

With ref to being competent , I have done several diy re-wires , cu changes, showers , minor works etc all before Part P legislation. I have been working in repairing electrical appliances for the last 15 years and have 3 years of electronics at college prior to that. After deciding to delve into the electrical installation side of things - mostly out of interest! , I have now completed C&G 2381 & am 3/4 through 2391 and am looking towards joining a government approved scheme sometime in the future - although I won't do this until I have a hatful of 'non-notifiable' work under my belt . This is not work for a customer, it is a favour to a friend.

It doesn't matter if it is a favour for a friend or not, if you are delving into the realms of commercial/industrial work then you need to comply with:

Persons to be competent to prevent danger and injury
16. No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work.

Do you have sufficient knowledge and experience to do the job to prevent danger or injury?

The realms of commercial and industrial vs domestic are worlds apart respect to the law. The fact that commercial/industrial work is non-notifiable under part p has no bearing on the matter at all, part p only applies to domestic dwellings or premises sharing a supply with foresaid. The work has to be done correctly by competent persons in line with all the requirements laid down in law that apply to commercial/industrial work. The insurer of the premises that you are carrying out work for may also have stipulations.

following on from what spark 123 said, i would like to ask.

if its a favour for a friend, why does he not get an electrcian in to do it?

a favour for a friend often turns out to be the worst job going, also is he going to pay you for the scaffhold, or tower you will need to get up that high? (you wern't going to use a ladder were you?)

take my advice, tell your friend you would like to stay his friend, so to avoid complications you do not want the job. (better safe than sorry)

SUN Lights? - Assume you mean SON.

80watt? No, probably 70w. 80w are common to high pres merc.

If you are going to pay good money for fire tuff, then just do the job properly with conduit or swa, using a gewiss box below each fitting with a final flex loop to the fitting.

How do you intend controlling the SON's?

1. 1Photocell per luminaire?
2. Time Switch.
3. 1 Photocell for all?

You need to think about L2 in your design and the switching of SON's also needs thinking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back