Replacing External Flood light with LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my external flood lights has failed – instead of just replacing the R7S lamp, think I’ll upgrade to LED flood.
I need IP65, black, bracket mount

Not sure on the power rating …. Existing lights are 300W which is stated as 4,800 lm
So do not want anything less, and getting a bit more light output would not be bad.

Thinking maybe 70 or 100W LED … typical range of 7,500 lm to 9,500 lm

Does anybody care to recommend a good make of LED flood ? …… they seem to range from £35 to £150 ….. don’t want to buy rubbish, but also not overpay for an item

Sponsored Links
1) Why IP65 is it going under water.
2) 300 Watt lamps need planning permission. 150 watt is limit without.
Yes I know a 70 watt metal halide lamp is nearly as bright as a 1000 watt halogen so one would expect the limit to be in lumen, however as far as I am aware limit is in watts still.

Clearly some one needs to complain, and unless they do, likely you can get away with more power.

Sponsored Links
No comment on brands, I've got a couple of 40w LED floods up- one from CPC, one from somewhere else. One is fine after 4 years, the other (also 4 years) the light output degraded quite quickly & has now failed completely. If the frost ever lifts I'll get the ladders out and see what brands they are...
One big difference you'll find with LED floods- the vertical beam angle is much bigger than from your old school sunflood. There isn't a sharp boundary from lit to unlit, the stray light can be a real nuisance for neighbours (especially if they're on a PIR so trigger for wildlife at dead of night) so be prepared to make some mask plates for the top of the unit (if you can still get litho plate from printers it is perfect).

We bought 2 ledvance (osram), 20w and 50w and the 50w one flashed when cold, so we got an exchange and that flashed constantly. We upgraded to a Phillips one which is ugly and big, but it works perfectly.
Both were from CPC if i remember correctly.
We also have a b&q one which is 20w i think and that is a bit flickery when you look at the rain drops passing by, but nothing terrible.

Think about whether you want warmer 4000k or cool white 6000k. Personally I prefer the warmer side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back