LEDs Replacing Older Lamp Technologies

Diffusers or pearl glass can help to spread the light, but the LED often has a flat plate inside so be it a GU10, candle, or golf ball bulb the inside is the same, a flat plate with surface mounted components designed to remove the heat from the LED chips.
Agreed. The GU10s do, of course, usually (always?) have a reflector and 'lens', rather than an 'envelope', are never 'pearl' and clearly are NOT designed or intended to radiate light 'in all directions', even if incandescent.

However, in terms of candle, golf ball and 'GLS-style'etc. LEDs, I agree that the internal construction is essentially the same, with all the LED elements mounted on a flat plate. However, as I illustrated last night, when there is a pearl envelope, it seems to get pretty evenly illuminated. I presume that's either because the light emission from the LED elements has a wider beam angle one might expect and/or that the 'pearl' envelope is designed so that light 'bounces around inside it. These pics show the outside and inside of one like I illustrated last night:

1699709473749.png
1699709488822.png

Yes I know in the latter years of the tungsten bulb the government banned the use of pearl glass, never worked out why, ...
I think that was simply a part of trying to stop/discourage the domestic use of incandescent bulbs. Since pearl ones were by far the most popular for domestic use, by 'banning' pearl ones they hoped to persuade domestic users to change to a type of lamp/bulb which was available with a pearl envelope (i.e. LEDs)
if the same rules applied to LED they would be even worse as giving an all round light.
As above, that will presumably never happen since, as I've said, I think the whole idea was to get people to use (pearl) LEWDs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yeah your right, however CFL's in my opinion are not that bad tbh. I don't understand why they are going to be banned. I do understand that they do contain toxic mercury but..

Sponsored Links
Yeah your right, however CFL's in my opinion are not that bad tbh. I don't understand why they are going to be banned. I do understand that they do contain toxic mercury but..
The slow start-up of most of them is a bit of a pain but, as you say, I think thee emain issue is the mercury, coupled which probably lower efficiency than LEDs.

LEDs, of course, usually contain arsenic.

Kind Regards, John

I don't particularly like LED lights - just cheap to run although expensive to buy.
I sort-of agree, although I suppose I have got used to them. Another advantage is their much longere lifeee expectancy ('on average'). With what must be approaching something like 1200 lamps/bulbs in my house (many in multi-lamp/bulb fittings), it used to drive me mad having to constantly replace (albeit cheap) incandescent ones!
I don't like them in cars either.
I'm again incline ed to agree, but (at lest IMO) some of the 'halogen' ones were/are even worse!

Kind Regards, John

The technology has certainly crept on, as with all things, in leaps and bounds.
What next? Matter transference of large objects or people.
Not that long ago, The Man from Uncle, Star Trek, Dr Who etc etc featured things a lot of folk would always be impossible.

Anyway yes I agree it is difficult to perceive the comparative light output usage just by wattage or lumens alone (or both sometimes).

Just read an article about LED bulbs..worth reading
@JohnW2
Thanks the comment in the link
PRO TIP: According to The Conversation, you can tell if a light bulb is flickering by turning on the lamp and spinning a fidget spinner in front of it: “If the spinner appears to rotate in a direction opposite to the direction of spin… then the lamp is flickering, whether you are aware of the flicker or not.”
is very useful, not tried it, but will.

The main problem is that it is not as simple as changing a bulb, to get a large LED bulb one needs an E40 screw base, the E27 and BA22d bases do not seem to have LED bulbs made for them. I suppose I could have used one of these 1700129539913.png at 40 watt it would have lit my living room well, but the E40 base is a problem, so went for a chandelier which has 8 x 6 watt so actually slightly more wattage, problem is the chandelier is a bit too low, I miss it, but some visitors don't. At least it does move so no real damage.

But the whole eco drive hinges around how one can modify existing to use new products, and also trying to get people building new to also used them. My son-in-law is Turkish, and since so much more sun there, they moved to compact fluorescent well before here, and build their homes so one can easy assess the roof with the solar panels, mainly to heat the domestic hot water, but they have a roof accessible from the inside of the building, with a safety wall all around it, and it is used for solar panels and drying the peppers.

I am sure there is a British home some where with access to the roof, but as yet only seen it with Castles, Churches, and high rise flats.

I have tried to use the power from solar panels, I can see on PC, tablet or phone what the state of battery is, but there is no way to program washing machine, tumble drier, dish washer or other high power appliances to which can be pre-loaded and pre-set to auto turn on when battery hits 80% for example.

There is it seems moves to set EV's to charge when the power is available, but there seems to be very little integration, I will guess there will be enough solar by 10 am, so set dishwasher to start at 10 am, dryer at 12 mid day, and washer at 2 pm, but this is guess work, works some days not others.

However returning to lighting, I have since 2000 been involved with three houses, each one was originally designed to use tungsten, and to use fluorescent or LED has required alterations to the fittings, be it a chandelier, a wall light, tube, or standard lamp, changing to LED has involved changes and cost, and when it costs £100 for a chandelier that takes a lot of power saving to pay for itself.

It is clear from the bulb show that bulbs could be made with the same spread of light to those they replaced, this 1700131195396.png bulb clearly does shine in nearly the same spread as the tungsten it replaced, but not pearl, so it has a tendency to cause glare. It says "Equal to 75w GLS lamp" and rated 8 watt, and "Compatible with existing fixtures and designed for retrofit replacement of incandescent lamps, LED Filament lamps deliver huge energy savings, minimizing maintenance cost." however failed to find any lumen output listed, so clearly just for decoration not really designed to light the room or the lumen would be listed. advert here found other adverts where they say around 800 lumen, and prices vary from £2.50 to £10 in fact this one 1700131980474.pngPhilips listed as £27.74, 17 watt, 3000 lumen and E27 base, it says it replaces a 50 watt bulb, so assume replaces some discharge bulb?

What next? Matter transference of large objects or people. ... Not that long ago, The Man from Uncle, Star Trek, Dr Who etc etc featured things a lot of folk would always be impossible.
Very much so - fhat's why, as I recently wrote in a thread to which I no longer participate (because it got moved to a different forum), that's why I regard myself as ('devout' !!) 'agnostic', rather than 'atheist'.

As you say (with assumptions about the couple of words you seem to have forgotten to type :) ), the fact that something seems 'totally impossible' ('beyond belief' etc.) today does not necessarily mean that it really IS 'impossible' ;)

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
LED "filament" lamps with "Pearl" (Frosted) glass (or plastic) ARE available, but are sometime hard to find.
Yes, they exist - but, as I recently illustrated, if they have "pearl" envelopes, then they don't really need to be 'filament' types in order to seemingly give pretty omnidirectional light output.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back