Energizer LED lamps - Amazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I recent wrote on here how impressed I was with their 40W candle replacements.
(Excellent warm colour and brightness and can't tell they are LED)

I was so impressed I thought I would purchase some of their 100W GLS replacements.
To my amazement I have used these to replace some 150W pearls. I really wasn't expecting this was possible! (I've been wasting my time and money on CFLs)

They also do replacement 60W and 75W GLS.
I would like to try their 60W, but currently out of stock locally.

This morning I have ordered some "shaving lamps" 50W replacements.

Sponsored Links
I was impressed when I swapped 8W compact fluorescent for 3W Lidi LED, however when it came down to reading under the lamps, not quite bright enough and swapped to Home bargains 5W LED. However when I swapped a 58W fluorescent tube for a 28W LED tube the drop in light output was marked, and really what it is down to, is the folded fluorescent tube lamps which were marketed to replace the tungsten bulb were in the main rubbish.

Main thing about LED lights are they are low maintenance. However the tungsten lamp also heated the room, without that heat boost when turning on the lights, one have to use more complex controls for the central heating, to swap the old TRV head for an electronic head so temperature goes up in the evening even cheapest cost around £25 each, so to swap from 2 x 60W bulbs to 10 x 3W bulbs plus an electronic head for TRV will cost around £30 for bulbs, £25 for head and £30 each for new chandelier to take the extra bulbs so one room £110 to convert. I will not live long enough to get this back on reduced electric costs, and if I was using electric heating then there is a minus saving as the inferred heat from tungsten bulbs is not lost with air changes.

Yes glad I converted, I was forever it seemed with tungsten bulbs replacing them, still have a cupboard full of them as we had to hold a large stock as sold in packs with 40W, 60W and 100W in pack, so rarely used the 100W ones. However I am not for one minute claiming they are better, they just suit my lazy nature.

Main thing about LED lights are they are low maintenance. However the tungsten lamp also heated the room, without that heat boost when turning on the lights, one have to use more complex controls for the central heating, to swap the old TRV head for an electronic head so temperature goes up in the evening even cheapest cost around £25 each, so to swap from 2 x 60W bulbs to 10 x 3W bulbs plus an electronic head for TRV will cost around £30 for bulbs, £25 for head and £30 each for new chandelier to take the extra bulbs so one room £110 to convert. I will not live long enough to get this back on reduced electric costs, and if I was using electric heating then there is a minus saving as the inferred heat from tungsten bulbs is not lost with air changes.
Please quote some actual evidence, from proper studies, which shows that the heat from incandescent lighting does truly lower people's space heating bills.

Please quote some actual evidence, from proper studies, which shows that the heat from incandescent lighting does truly lower people's space heating bills.
I emailed and phoned the energy saving trust asking about case studies to show if the so called energy saving bulb saved money, they said because even the same design house built with the front door facing north or south would give different results is was impossible to show if energy saving bulbs actually save energy, however where the heating is not electric they do save money, so although likely that the tungsten bulb in winter use less energy, in summer it uses more, so on average it saves energy.

The flaw is of course we use the lights a lot less in summer, so likely it will not average out.

However they tell me proper studies have not been done either to show when used inside a house in the UK tungsten bulbs either use more or save energy, as you move towards the equator then winter nights are shorter and summer days are shorter so and studies in other latitudes don't really count, as you move to the poles the lights would be used more during the day, so the saving because lights are used in the evening so giving extra heat just when required would not work, even window sizes would effect it.

This it seems is why studies have not been done, either way, there was a Manweb building in Chester where the only heating was the lights, it was proclaimed as something really good, lights were left on day and night, and theory was light energy will turn into heat energy as it is absorbed by the walls, so even with fluorescent lighting the lights would heat the building as long as heat recovery units were used etc.

It was so good, it has been raised to the ground. see this PDF

Sponsored Links
Traditionally we turn off heating at night, and have it lower in the day than in the evening, and we have used a combination of convected air and inferred from the lights, the big problem with inferred is it can pass through glass and is hard to control, however because it heats the body directly it does not raise the temperature of the air, so using inferred you lose less heat with air changes. So in the British house we would set the central heating air temperature to around 18°C ample when moving around during the day, in the evening air temperature remained at 18°C but the inferred made it feel as if it was 21°C.

When the tungsten bulbs are removed and replaced with LED we feel cold in the evening so we compensate by lifting the air temperature to 20°C unless we manually change the setting we will also have it at 20°C during the day, so we end up with the house 2°C warmer for around 16 hours because of moving to LED.

With hot air heating as used in many other countries we can have one central thermostat that controls the whole house, so changing the standard thermostat for a programmable thermostat with very little cost you can get the house to just have it a little warmer in the evening, but still cooler during the day, however we use a hydraulic system which was considered better, as we could set each room at a different temperature so save on energy, it also means areas of the room can remain cool, like next to windows, the hot air system results is needing loads of plants to keep humidity from getting too low, and is expensive because the air is circulated, I know first house I had was hot air heated with vents in every door for the return air. But although a TRV is quite cheap, they are not easy to keep altering to get the duel temperature, we are forced with the standard model to select one temperature and leave it at that.

To be able to alter the temperature automatically between day and evening we need to swap all the TRV heads for electronic types which start at around £25 each, even then there is a problem as some thing needs to tell the boiler in summer when not required. Ideal is for the eTRV to tell a hub which in turn tells the boiler, however to do that the TRV heads are around £60 each, there is a cheap method using a wall thermostat, however the wall thermostat at around 0.5°C and the standard TRV at around 2°C can be set to work together,
upload_2017-8-13_1-50-18.png
but with a eTRV the TRV range is much reduced, around 1°C so to get the two working together is near impossible, so if working on the cheap the room with the wall thermostat has to stay at the same temperature day and evening as that room needs to have a very basic TRV. The whole point is to get what we had with a simple tungsten bulb with the evening boost, with LED bulbs means a lot of work is required on the central heating system. Or we have the house warmer during the day, there are of course some houses where it is easier than others, my 1979 house is open plan down stairs, so a simple programmable thermostat works fine down stairs, and the TRV is just to stop upstairs getting too hot, so after LED bulbs cost around £20 to get the evening boost, but mothers house has doors on every room, so no option but use eTRV's. Son has a wood burning fire he uses in the evening, daughters both have houses with only one living room down stairs so thermostat like in my house is in that main room, TRV's only stop other rooms over heating.

My mothers house with the doors, larger than mine and detached actually uses less gas, because of the doors keeping the heat in the rooms and less circulating air, so it does matter how the house is designed, but be it a vented tumble drier, or heat from lights, the house needs looking at as a whole, the idea of taking any one appliance and testing it in isolation does not work, there will be people with ceiling full of MR16 lamps which need a dedicated air conditioner unit to then keep house cool, my father-in-law uses gas to cook, so house is damp, and kitchen gets really hot, I use an induction hob, so cooking adds very little heat.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-13_1-51-23.png
    upload_2017-8-13_1-51-23.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 80
Your tungsten lamps aren't helping you cool your home in the summer.

I remember when LEDs first started coming on the night MTB scene. My first set pushed 230 lumen which replace 5w tungsten lamps almost like for like. They were whiter and threw ligh forward better but only slightly better. I currently run 4 1k lumen LEDs (Cree XP-L) which consume less than 50w total. It's like riding in day light. Around the same output as a HID car headlight.

Purely from a lamp life point of view, I expect these to save me money.

They aren't expensive to purchase at £4.50.

And 150W v 12½W over 6 hours in an evening should reduce my elec bill.

Last edited:
Please Correct me if my calculations are wrong.

If I assume a KWh costs £0.128

Over 6 months a 150W would cost ~£19 (on my elec bill)

Over 6 months a 12.5W LED would cost £1.61

... the big problem with inferred is it can pass through glass ....
Not very well, surely. It is, after all, because IR 'does not' pass through glass (but UV 'does') that we have 'greenhouse effect' (and greenhouses!).
When the tungsten bulbs are removed and replaced with LED we feel cold in the evening ...
Has anyone actually experienced that? I have lived in a very large house, with an unthinkable number of lamps/light bulbs, for about 30 years. Those lamps/bulbs were originally all incandescent but, over the years, have gradually been changed to CFLs and, in most cases, now to LEDs. Other than a dramatic drop in electricity usage/cost, I really noticed no other difference.

Kind Regards, John

Please Correct me if my calculations are wrong. ... If I assume a KWh costs £0.128 ... Over 6 months a 150W would cost ~£19 (on my elec bill) ... Over 6 months a 12.5W LED would cost £1.61
Your calculations are roughly correct. With your figures (and assuming 6 hours per day), I get£21.02 and £1.75 respectively. Your figures seem to be 8-10% lower than I got.

I don't understand these people who question the cost saving, whether due to "reduced heating bills" in Winter (which I personally doubt is significant) or whatever.

Kind Regards, John

Not very well, surely. It is, after all, because IR 'does not' pass through glass (but UV 'does') that we have 'greenhouse effect' (and greenhouses!).
Actually it depends on the frequency. Lower frequencies of infrared are much less able to pass through glass, and they originate from sources with a lower temperature. Most of the energy from the sun comes from a combination of UV, visible light and higher frequency IR. Then when it tries to get back out, it can't because it originates from a much lower temperature object (than the sun). I wouldn't like to judge how much of a light bulb's output goes out the window though. It probably depends which way it is pointing, and what its spectrum looks like.

There are no reductions in heating costs.
Incandescent lamps will add a certain amount of heat to a room, LEDs significantly less.

Assuming you actually need the heat from incandescent lamps:
If you have electric heating, you will pay the same, since all of the heat requirements are provided by electricity.
If you have gas or some other cheaper type, you pay more, as you use slightly less cheap gas and slightly more expensive electricity.

When heat is not required, you are throwing money away.

Individual perceptions of things will vary. Such as people who claimed LED lamps were horrid and they caused headaches, bad light, eyes to fall out and other lies.
When lamps were changed to LED, those same complainers didn't even notice until it was pointed out to them several days later.

Please Correct me if my calculations are wrong.

If I assume a KWh costs £0.128

Over 6 months a 150W would cost ~£19 (on my elec bill)

Over 6 months a 12.5W LED would cost £1.61
Correct, but energy does not simply disappear, it may change to a different form but it is not lost, so if your heating a home with electric then you may save money on lights, but you then spend it on heating, so in the end nothing is saved.

Correct, but energy does not simply disappear, it may change to a different form but it is not lost, so if your heating a home with electric then you may save money on lights, but you then spend it on heating, so in the end nothing is saved.
As has been pointed out, even at times of year/day when one wants/needs heating, and even if the heat from the lights is significant enough to notice, so that you are able to use a little less gas for heating, then there is still a saving in running costs to be had by moving away from incandescent lighting, since it costs so much more to produce a given amount of heat from electricity than from gas.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back