2 earths in double socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi (again)!

Currently installing a new double socket in the living room.
Fitted flush metal back plate in wall, channeled out the wall leading to the existing double socket (the only one in said living room - has two sets of cables running in so I assume this is good for a spur?...if not then I've not as yet got my head around extending ring mains - the fuse box has one sockets fuse for upstairs and downstairs).
So far so good :?: ...just nipping out to grab a grommet and earth sleeving for the cable (why aren't earths pre sleeved?).
However, in the existing (wall mounted - will flush this at later date) the earth cables from the two cables are on fixed seperately - is this a problem? Which one do I attach the cable from the new socket (spur) to - does it matter?
I'm sure this is basic science to you guys but I want to double check.

...and is it me or can you only purchase chrome sockets these days??

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your existing socket is on a ring, but it'd be wise to verify this before taking a spur from it.

and doesn't matter which terminal you connect the earth to, if you look at the back of the socket you can see that both terminals are attched to the same piece of metal

and yes, you can buy standard sockets easily enough, I recommend you go for recognised make such as MK

The cpc's should not be twisted togethers as some are (twisting places mechanical stress on the conductors). They should be separately sleeved. If the outlet has two earth connections then the cpc's of the ring should connected, one to each. If you are spurring off a ring socket, add the cpc of the spur to one earth terminal and the link to the back box, to the other.

Many thanks for your help.
I can't see the existing socket being anything other than a non-spurred (I know all the tech jargon :) )socket - aside from the kitchen this is the only socket downstairs (feeding two 4x extension leads).
Plus there are two cables feeding this (which I took to assume this is not already a spur).

The cpc's should not be twisted togethers as some are (twisting places mechanical stress on the conductors). They should be separately sleeved. If the outlet has two earth connections then the cpc's of the ring should connected, one to each. If you are spurring off a ring socket, add the cpc of the spur to one earth terminal and the link to the back box, to the other.

Awfully sorry - but this has left me a little confused (easily done when it comes to leccy tech speak!). Should I read this as the two earths from the existing socket should not be bound toegther and fed into one earth connector on the plate? And what is a 'cpc'?

Yours gratefully.

Sponsored Links
Yes one into each terminal and CPC = Circuit Protective Conductor (earth)

Cheers Qedelec you've been very helpful. I'll try and somehow drop CPC into the conversation in the pub later this evening - my, won't my friends be impressed!!

Sounds like your existing socket is on a ring, but it'd be wise to verify this before taking a spur from it.

Forgot to ask if there is any definitive way to double check this as a rookie? This existing socket has been feeding two 4x extension leads for nigh on 5 years (yeah I know) so I assume a spur won't overload the ring it's on. The fuse box has been updated (I guess in the last 10 years - was in before we moved in 7 years ago and looks modernish) so I think a rewire job is not necessary.

nothing wrong with 4-way sockets, as long as you dont go plugging electric heaters or tumble dryers or toasters into them - in fact, they can be safer than some diy lash-ups.

True, though I need to add a lamp or two on the other side of the room and the mess of wires resembles amateur spaghetti!

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back