2 fcu's off one socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, new to the site, I need to install 2 underfloor heating mats, 1 in bathroom and 1 in kitchen, could I run 2 fcu's off 1 double socket

Sponsored Links
If each FCU is on its own cable, then the fuse protection is fine. Its like plugging an extension lead in to each of the sockets.

Assuming you mean spurring twice off the same socket and also assuming your sockets are currently wired in a ring with 2.5mm then you really shouldn't. Sockets are not designed for 4 x 2.5mm conductors per terminal. Whilst it can be physically possible and you have to look outside of the BS7671 to find the design regs of sockets to see that they're not designed for more than 3 x 2.5mm or 2 x 4mm, I'd advise against it.

If you are cabling from the same socket you'd be better off extending the ring and adding the FCUs in, rather than spurring off. (if this is what you meant with your original question, then this is the best and correct way to do things)

If however, your sockets are on a radial and fused at 32A, if it's not at the end of the circuit, you won't be able to come directly off the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back