2 flats into 1 house?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if I could ask you some advice regarding two points:-

I am converting two flats in to one house and both ground and first floors are concrete construction. As part of the build the plumber (not yet chosen) will be installing a new radiator system and we will also need to relocate the gas meter.

1) I am wondering how best to run the new heating and hot/cold water pipework round the house. The builder will be battening the ceilings down 100mm which will allow some void for services. If the heating pipework runs in this void then we will have to drop to all the ground floor radiators. All the existing walls are block i.e. not stud, so can the pipework be concealed in the block walls if the builder was to chase out for them? Can this be done in copper, if so would the pipes need protecting? How is this usually done.

2) The gas supply pipe will need to distribute from the new meter location and then run internally to the new boiler, cooker and fireplace locations. Can the gas supply also run in the 100mm ceiling void? Obviously, the chosen plumber will tell me, but I am interested what the options are. Or would the gas pipe need to be run in a channel in the existing concrete ground floor and screeded over?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Gas pipe ran can be in concrete or in ceiling void, the gas safe engineer will know how regulation apply. Location of gas meter is better near as possible for boiler is saves installation time and money, hot and cold shortest route as possible but not really a problem. If you have 2 bathrooms unvented hot water system is ideal

Relocating the gas meter wont be cheap.

Arranging the move wont be quick either, so if you are in any kind of a hurry I would contact the service provider now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back