Meters for flats?

S

sturharv

I am in working on a flat development consisting of 8 no. flats. I am not an expert on this, my question is regarding the meters for gas and water. How is this normally done for a block of flats?
There is a large store available on the ground floor for any meters etc. Can all the meters be located in one room off the communal area? What about gas and water supplies running from the store to the top floor for example, do these supplies have to be kept in the communal area?

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Plenty of rules about gas pipes in Protected Stairways, Ducts, etc. Transco replacement authority will have something to say too.
With gas and water pipe runs, judgement really depends on the specific building/location - is there an architect?

eg.... if it's 2 cosy flats, then an exposed gas pipe in copper might be fine, but a block on an estate would need steel, if not ducted as well.

With regards to the water you can either have:

seperate metered supplies into the building for each flat (usually from a manifold outside).

Common supply into the building with an internal manifold in a "meter room".

Meters outside each flat, boxed in on the landing either fed from single supplies outside or common in and then split individually.

One thing to consider is that every flat must have it's own form of control to isolate the water seperately to that of the other flats, and that each such control must be accessible from outside the flat (in case of a burst etc).

With the gas each flat must have an ECV at the first point of entry into the flat so the gas can be isolated without having to go down to the meter.

Any meter store etc MUST have a cummunal key with 24hr lit access for each flat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the useful replies.

Next step is to check the water pressure and flow rate is acceptable.....??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back