2 gang 2 way switch

Sponsored Links
I did'nt accuse you of anything.

Thats not why BAS asked the question, he was just being unhelpful and obstructive.

It was generic factual statement.
Given that the OPs question had been fully and correctly answered, and I did not provide any contrary or incorrect advice, will you please provide the facts which show that asking him a genuine question was unhelpful and obstructive.

I have a multimeter and lots of other things,but i am changing the switch for my mother at her house,so didnt have all my tools with me. Thanks for all the constructive replies.I will get it fitted tomorrow.Yes its a metal switch so i will earth it.I changed her other sockets etc in her kitchen but this is the only one that was slightly different

Sponsored Links
accusation n an allegation that a person is guilty of some fault, offence, or crime.

Since you've decided that the best thing all round is for you to join in, and widen, the dispute between holmslaw and me perhaps you'd care to present a reasoned argument showing that "he was just being unhelpful and obstructive" was not alleging that I was guilty of a fault.

doesn't matter now..think it was just worded wrong.Should have said have you got a multimeter if so check so and so.

You made an accusation against the OP

Daz - why haven't you got a multimeter?

He does have one.
Ah - I see what you mean.

I didn't explicitly accuse him of being at fault, notice I asked a question, but I did mistakenly deduce that he was because he didn't use his meter to work out which switch terminal was which. Since doing so would have been 10x quicker than taking photos, uploading them here and posting a topic I thought it was a reasonable deduction that he didn't actually have one.

In other words, I did have a logical and rational reason for coming to the conclusion I did. The starting position was that he had clearly not tested the switch. Given that starting position, a rigorous analysis might have led to the formation of more than one possible reason, and who knows maybe even a view of the relative probability of each one being correct. But then picking one that turned out to be wrong would not mean that it had been irrational or illogical.

I was at fault for not thinking of other reasons, and if I'd done so I might have asked "do you have a multimeter?". But I didn't, and if as a result I offended daz I do apologise for my error.

As I said, that I reached the wrong conclusion does not mean that that it was irrational to reach it, and I think that any dispassionate observer would agree that I had a reason for reaching it which I could explain.

I would like holmslaw to explain why he thought that a rational and logical conclusion to reach was that a simple question, asked after daz had been given a full and correct answer to his question, and which was not abusive or uncivil, was unhelpful and obstructive.

i think that should be enough explaing now..lol i know what you mean about the meter etc and no offense was taken.. :)

Thats not why BAS asked the question, he was just being unhelpful and obstructive.
One can be unhelpful and obstructive by not giving people information, or by giving them false information, but how does asking a question do that?

Particularly as the OP's question had already been fully answered would you please provide a rational and logical explanation of why you believe that it was unhelpful and obstructive for me to have asked that?

You made the accusation - you must be able to present a reasoned argument in favour of it.

Bas has had his usual basic communication failure.
I'm not the one failing to answer a simple, civil, and perfectly reasonable question. I have communicated my position with clarity, and I am asking you to do the same regarding yours.

Say no more - thread closed.
Why do you think it is acceptable for you to make any accusation you like against me, with no shred of evidence to back it up and without you being able to come up with a reason which makes sense even to you?

You decided to make the accusation against me, you decided to start a disagreement when nothing I had said was directed at or was about you.

Why do you think that you were doing the right thing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back