Old Bakerlite 2 gang to New 2 gang help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post so (excuses, excuses)....

All I want to do is change out the old Bakerlite 2 gang 2 way light switch to a new 2 gang 2 way one. There aren't may labels on the old switch. If someone could advise what goes where using the pictures, that'd be a huge help.

IMG_8432.JPG

IMG_8434.JPG

Sponsored Links
Before removing any wires, mark them all with permanent pen or tape so they are easily identified.
If mixed up at all, the lights will not work properly.
Power must be off before removing anything, and that means both upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits if they have separate fuses/circuit breakers.

The old one has 2 switches, divided horizontally as shown below.

For switch A:
The red wire in COM goes to COM on the new switch.
The other red wire goes to 1way.

For switch B:
The red wire in COM goes to COM on the new switch.
The other red wire to 2way.
The black wire to 1way.

The other terminals on the new switches are not used.

IMG_8432.jpg

You don't have any Class I light fittings requiring an earth connection anywhere, do you?

Thanks Flameport, that's excellent, thank you for taking the time to do that.

Securespark, luckily no, all the light fittings are wooden, plastic or Bakerlite, something I'll have to continue during renovations I guess. haha

Sponsored Links
I don't want to take this off topic, but I've never seen a 2 gang, where one gang is 1 way and the other gang is 2 way before. Interesting (to me).
I second the answer and advice above though.

There appears to be only 5 terminals instead if the 6 required for a normal 2 gang 2 way switch plate.

I agree with mikeyd.... a plate with one switch 1 way and one switch 2 way would be very unusual ....or is there a sixth terminal covered by a thin break out cover

0z7.jpg

If the switch plate arrangement is as in B then this may be the way the switches are connected

0x59.jpg

I think this thread has been answered, so why not off topic? If the OP doesn't mind.
Bernard, re-draw it with the 3 terminals at the top making a 2 way switch. And the 2 terminals at the bottom (plus the 3rd) making the 1 way switch.
This is looking at the photo above as I see it. It may be swiveled round on your device. JW Might have it right, but then again your diagram is plausable.
It would be interesting to know what was under the plastic over (what would be) the 3rd terminal. I guess nothing..

Last edited:
Feel free, I certainly don't mind, I can't add much I'm afraid other than the original orientation which is same as in bernardgreen's B diagram, which makes the 3 terminals to the top and the 2 plus the blank to the bottom. Screw holes to left and right
The left switch controlling an outside light and right side controlling the kitchen light (which is also controlled with another 2 gang in the hallway)

You may also find with an old switch like that, the metal box may have imperial thread, whereas the new switch screws supplied have 3.5mm metric,

Also looks like the old box has insulated lugs, which i quess is a bonus when the box is not earthed.

Last edited:
It's probably a Crabtree Lincoln, 1 way and 2 way on the same plate was an option, as were various other combinations.

The black & red at the top are from the same cable, suggesting they are the strappers for the 2 way switch, the others being red singles as the supply for upstairs, supply for downstairs and switched line for downstairs.

crabtree_lincoln.jpg

It's probably a Crabtree Lincoln, 1 way and 2 way on the same plate was an option, as were various other combinations.

The black & red at the top are from the same cable, suggesting they are the strappers for the 2 way switch, the others being red singles as the supply for upstairs, supply for downstairs and switched line for downstairs.

View attachment 156797

Very interesting.

Didn't know there were so many options regarding 1 and 2 way operation on switch plates.

Must have been a brass shortage.

And possession of the right tools and the right basic knowledge would mean absolutely no mysteries for Gav.

What is is about electrical work that leads people to think that it really doesn't matter if they don't have a scooby?

Bernard, re-draw it with the 3 terminals at the top making a 2 way switch. And the 2 terminals at the bottom (plus the 3rd) making the 1 way switch.
This is looking at the photo above as I see it. It may be swiveled round on your device. JW Might have it right, but then again your diagram is plausable.
The box lugs are at the sides, not top & bottom, so unless the two rockers/toggles are arranged vertically, Bernard is right and flameport is wrong.

Would everybody please take this as a defining example of the folly of using guesswork and stop advising and facilitating it?

Looking at pic 1 I would think its more likely for the 2 strappers to be in the same twin cable
Personally I would do a continuity check across the switch terminals to confirm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back