2 Gang Socket on a Timer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
As the title says just wondering if this can be done and of so what do I need.

In a nutshell I'm currently doing the front garden up and my builder has just finished building a wall on either side where I've drilled out and recessed a set of 10 outdoor LED deck lights in every other brick which are really just for ambient light. The cable is then run through conduit between the double skin walls into my garage where the lights are powered by two plug in adaptors (one for each set) which transforms it from 240v to 12v. Due to the low running costs and for nice effect (plus security issues) I want these to come on say from 9pm to 5am each night. I was just going to stick them into a timer socket but I wanted something a bit more permanent and safe rather than two timers just stuck in a plug as the transformer sockets are quite deep then if you add the timer on it sticks out quite a way?? :eek:

Here's what I'm trying to do -
Timer.jpg

I would be most grateful if you could point me in the right direction
Many thanks
Sean

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the fast reply...
Think my little project my turn into quite and expensive thought as it's £37.00 before the sockets and all the other bits??
Any other switch on the market that'll do that's not that expensive???
Many thanks
Sean

Sponsored Links
The first one incorporates its own 13A fuse.

The second does not but is rated at 16A resistive.

If it is on a typical 32A ring, and feeds a double socket,.it could be overloaded unless you add an FCU upstream.

The first one incorporates its own 13A fuse.

The second does not but is rated at 16A resistive.

If it is on a typical 32A ring, and feeds a double socket,.it could be overloaded unless you add an FCU upstream.

Think you posted whilst I wrote my reply lol
So the first one is the better one from what your saying.
Thanks for the reply

oh it's for outdoor lighting

I should have read all the words :oops: and not just looked at the pics of sockets

run it off a lighting circuit and use a dusk-to-dawn or a 6-hour adjustable photocell light switch

BAS is slipping ...
If these aren't a pre-wired ELV set to <some standard> then it's notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back