Single gang wall timer - does such a thing exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mum has a washing machine and we'd like to set it to it only operates during the Economy 7 hours. I proposed using a plug in timer, however the space between the washing machine and the wall socket is very tight that a timer would probably not fit in there.

Controlling the plug socket is a wall switch above the worktop. I was thinking of converting this wall switch to a single plate timer, so it looks neat and doesn't require any major alteration of a new backbox etc. Here's a picture for reference:

dsc00369xyk.jpg

Does a single gang wall timer exist? I'm struggling to find one.

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
They do exist, here's one example:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST11.html

However you will be wasting your money. The saving by using the machine at night will be so small that it will be years before you have saved enough to even cover the cost of the timer.

Do you have all-electric heating? If not, get rid of the E7 altogether as it could well be costing you more than a standard tarrif.

I think the point is that it can use the hot water, while it can be reheated in the cheap period

Always a good idea to ensure effective smoke or heat alarms are fitted if washing machines or dishwashers operate overnight. Chances of a machine catching fire are small but there is a risk of an un-attended appliance developing a fault.

Sponsored Links
glad you can do it..
mines electronic and requires me to touch a button to start it.. so I can't set it to come on later..

Our is the same, electronic. The dryer is the same.

As someone has mentioned, E7 is only worthwhile on electric heating. And many people seem to think they are on E7 when they aint. My dad used to, untill i explained to him theres one reading on the meter, one set of tails, no timer etc. :cool:

Further to what Bernard said, we had a dishwasher go up once, due to the cables between the door and machine fraying. :eek:

Do you have all-electric heating? If not, get rid of the E7 altogether as it could well be costing you more than a standard tarrif.

All electric heating yes, and I'd have thought that with the washing machine using a heating element and thus a lot of energy, the savings using during E7 period would be pretty good?

I would say it is worth while, especially if the washer is cold feed only, which most modern ones are as they are considered more energy efficient.

The reason for this was decided because of the length of time it takes the washer to pull water from the hot tank. By the time it has pulled the water it needs(less than years ago), the hot water has only just reached the outlet, and so the washer has filled with cold water anyway which then requires heating. The hot water pulled from the tank into the pipework is then wasted.

As said, if your washer requires you to press a start button, or does not power back into cycle when you turn it off, having a timer is pointless ;)

Manu modern washers have a delay start these days especially for this purpose.

As you have econ 7 heating, go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back