2 gang switch, which contains the only operating switches fo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the old and the new switches. it sounds like the old one is laid out like this .
So you have two switches side by side, but one is upside down.

The new one is probably two switches side by side but the two coms are at the top.

Take a photo of the old one before you disconnect ANYTHING.
And take a photo of the new one.

You can then post them on here if you get stuck...

I have a similar problem now and I can't work out where the problem lies - I'd be so grateful if someone could help me out.

I have a 2 gang switch, which contains the only operating switches for 2 independent lights.

The old one is labelled differently to the new one, I think I've got it right but when i connect it up, one of the lights works fine, the other is permanently on regardless of what i do with the switch.

The old one has the following layout:

//media.diynot.com/187000_186812_45350_83983769_thumb.jpg

The New Switch has this layout: (and this is my thinking as to how it should be wired)

//media.diynot.com/187000_186812_45351_84545511_thumb.jpg

So my thinking is that it's just the same but with one of the switched upside-down. But like I said, this gives me one of the lights permanently on.

Could someone please help?

Sponsored Links
How many cables/wires/cores to the switches? You have probably wired one of the switches so you have bypassed the contacts. A photo of the back of the switch with cables attached would help.

And your diagram is wrong, at a switch the only terminations would be live and switched live, no neutrals.

As mentioned a photo would help.

Thanks for having a look.

These are pics of the old switch... i was assuming live and neutral because of the colours... this may not be the case.

The labels across the top are:
A 2way / A 1Way / B Com

The ones across the bottom are:
A Com / B 2Way / B 1Way

This is the new one:

Sponsored Links
You don't have neutrals connected to the terminals you have switch live.
So change the neutral for switch live below.
You have put the Live 2 and switch live 1 and vice versa on the same switch which is wrong.

Should be:

ACom X = Live 2 (red)
A1wayX = Switch live 2 (black)

BComX = Live 1 (red)
B1wayX = Switch live 1 (black)

Thanks for that - so the Switch live (black) wires go on the A and B 1 ways - and the Live (red) wires go on the A and B Coms?

This is what i've been doing but one light remains permanently on.

Thanks for that - so the Switch live (black) wires go on the A and B 1 ways - and the Live (red) wires go on the A and B Coms?

Not according to your last diagram which shows the that you have mixed up the switch live conductors.
Separate out the two T&E cables:
Put one red in com and the black from the same cable in 1way on the same gang.
Do the same for the other one.

FHS - each one has terminals labeled Com(mon), 1-way and 2-way.

On the old one because there's one lump of plastic they tell you which belong to switch A and switch B.

On the new one you have two physically separate switches.

It really, really should not be this hard for you.

i was assuming live and neutral because of the colours...
Thinking that you could have live and neutral connected to a switch like that betokens such an incredible lack of basic understanding of circuits, what a switch does, etc, that you really shouldn't be doing electrical work.

The fact is that unless you UNDERSTAND what you're doing, fiddling with electrics is dangerous, possibly lethally so.

Not being able to grasp the identification on the back of switches and blindly following "insert this wire in that hole" type of instructions without knowing why does not count as understanding.

Please take some time out to learn the basics of electricity and circuits, and how domestic installations work. Get some books. Read the info in the Wiki.

When you understand enough to work out for yourself how to do it, then go ahead.

One of the switches must be faulty. Does it feel and sound the same as the other?

Apart from both wires in the same terminal, there is nothing you can do wrongly which would result in the light being on permanently.

I've followed those instructions but still no joy (the switch on the left as you look at the switches or the right as you look at the wires from the back) remains permanently on.

See below pics.

I appreciate the help - but as suggested by BAS above - I might call it a day if the solution is not really obvious, as this is pretty much the extent of my abilities fully tested now.

One of the switches must be faulty. Does it feel and sound the same as the other?

Apart from both wires in the same terminal, there is nothing you can do wrongly which would result in the light being on permanently.

One feels less "Snappy" than the other but I was quicker to assume a mistake on my part rather than a faulty switch. It's definitely a possibility though... given that I have been wiring the switch the same way each time.

If you have put the same cables red and black conductors in their correct gang then as EFL stated you may have a faulty switch.
New switches sometimes are 'sticky' turn the power of and flick the problem switch on a off a number of times this may free the possible contact problem.
Failing that take it back and get another one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back