Light Switch Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
I can't see the markings on the white switch.

Are they C or common, L1 and L2? Or are they L1, L2 and L3?

There should also be some marks on the white switch showing which terminals are grouped together, like there are on the silver one.

Just copy the connections over from one switch to the other, keeping them in their switch groups and ensuring they go in the correct terminal.

If you are unsure which terminal is which, you will have to take a better picture of the white switch with all the wires in place and post it here.

I can't see the markings on the white switch.

Are they C or common, L1 and L2? Or are they L1, L2 and L3?

There should also be some marks on the white switch showing which terminals are grouped together, like there are on the silver one.

Just copy the connections over from one switch to the other, keeping them in their switch groups and ensuring they go in the correct terminal.

If you are unsure which terminal is which, you will have to take a better picture of the white switch with all the wires in place and post it here.
The top connections are marked 1 and 2 and the wires are in 2. The bottom are marked 1c and 2. The wires are in 1c and there's an arrow pointing to them with the words 2 way.

Sponsored Links
The red wire looped across is the live feed to all the switches. These go in common.

The yellow or blue wire(s) on the other side go in L1 on the new switch. Just to clarify: there are no switches with wires in L1 and 2 are there?

I thought the yellow wire was the earth?
:eek:

Dear god....

Please get an electrician - your knowledge is so flawed that you could kill someone.
LOL, don't worry, I'm not going to do anything until I'm 100% sure. I may even cut my losses and leave it as it is. Knowing that the yellow wire is not the earth makes it a bit less confusing. I wondered why it would be there. Why two blue and a yellow? Anyway. to answer a previous question, no, there is no earth wire.

And you MUST earth the faceplate on that switch. There is an earth wire in the cables, isn't there?
Where is the earth terminal on that switch? Is it that circular something at the side (on right, with the switch upside down) which has no obvious screw in it?

Kind Regards, John

As you look at the photo it is at the bottom right (to the right of the L terminal.) The photo is upside down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back