2 lights 2 switches, replacing fixtures, need wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have 2 lights in my hall. I have a switch at either end of the hall. Both switches have full control over both lights. I usually install new light fixtures myself, but ive never done 2way lights before.
I have 2 red live wires, 1 black neutral and one green/yel earth coming through ceiling. I can see the two lives going into the box in the old light, but my new lights have the standard wiring set up inside with just one, live[brown], earth[yel] and neutral[blue] going into the connector choc box... obviously waiting for me to put the corresponding old colours in the other side... but what do i do with the 2 lives??
(I see on the old bracket fixed to the ceiling that there is space for 2 or even 3 lives and 2 or 3 neutrals aswell, which makes sense for a 2 way ring like this).
Please help, thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
I assume you noted down where the cables were fitted original, if you have removed the old fitting.
A picture may help if still connected.
Are you saying that the two reds are connected together on the fitting?
and is the second light the same?

I have attached 3 pictures. the 1st light as you can see has 2 red lives and the 2nd light has 2 black neutrals, the third picture is of 1 of my new lights, thanks again

Sponsored Links
Just copy what you have on to your new light.
*Photo 1) reds into brown connection of new lights, black to blue and yellow/green to yellow/green
*Photo 2) red to brown, blacks to blue and yellow/green to yellow/green

sorry are you saying to put both into the same hole? so have I to put the 2 red wires into the one (same) brown space in the block?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back