2 switches, 1 light, 1 blown fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just replaced old living room ceiling light with new. The new light fitting had a choc bloc with terminals marked live, earth, neutral. So I put the earth in the earth, the 3 live in the live and the 3 neutral in the neutral as per the instructions in the packet. Switched the power back on and the fuse blew. The light can be controlled from 2 different switches - should I have had switched over a live and a neutral because of this rather than put all 3 of each colour in each terminal? I know I should have made a drawing of the connections to the old light but I didn't so now need some help... :oops:

Sponsored Links
If your using 3 plate method of wiring then one of those 'neutrals' is your switch line!!!! was it not identified with sleeving ?

Yes, it is likely you have connected the switched live to the neutral. You will need a multimeter, separate out all the red and black wires in the 3 cables and connect the meter (set to ohms range) across each cable red/black wire in the cables in turn whilst someone else operates one of the switches. You should see the resistance go from low to infinity on one wire, this is the switch wire. The black on this wire needs to be sleeved red and connects to the live terminal on the lamp. The two other blacks connect together and to the neutral on the lamp, the three reds together and to nothing else in a spare piece of terminal block. Ensure the earths are connected together and to the fitting if required. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&start=39

Sponsored Links
find a multimeter and test for continuity on all 3 pairs of wires until you find one whose continuity varies when you flick one of the switches. Do this with the power off. The one with variable continuity is the switch wire - connect as shown in the diagrams in "for reference"

If this task is beyond you, find a yellow pages instead ;)

When you do identify the wires, you are going to need an extra bit of terminal strip to keep all the reds in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back