2 showers used at same time - what's the best solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just about to replace existing bathroom (no shower) with an en suite shower room and create brand new bathroom with shower elsewhere in the house.

I have a mains fed combi boiler and was wondering how I can install 2 showers that can be used at the same time, maintain good pressure and not fluctuate in temperature.

Are thermostatic mixers best or would pressure drop when 2nd shower is on? Will electric showers give enough pressure?

Not sure how much mains pressure I'm getting - how do I find out?

many thanks
Davy

Sponsored Links
loosely speaking, a combi will give one good shower, and electric will give one weedy shower.

most houses will not be able to run two electric showers at the same time due to the amount of electric power required

the water supply to your home may not be sufficient to deliver enough water for two showers at the same time. You can test this by filling up a bucket of water and seeing how many litres per minute you get.

If you turn on two taps at the same time, see what you then get at each tap.

loosely speaking, a combi will give one good shower

That is very loosely speaking. High flow combis can do two showers. One combi can do three bathrooms.

What size is the combi in BTU/hr or kW? and what is the mains pressure and flow.

It may be worth installing another combi and using that for one bathroom and that doing the downstairs CH and the existing combi the existing bathroom and upstairs CH. The shower are then not affected by each other. Have 22mm cold mains supply to each combi. Two independent CH zones. You then can have upstairs CH off and downstairs on saving in heating bills. Then combine the combi DHW outlets using two check valves and a shock arrestor to supply the bath tap. Two combi filling the bath very quickly. Combis are cheap. You are doing major works so re-think. The most cost effective solution is as second combi.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back