2 Stroke engine carburettors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2 stroke strimmer will never start in the spring after standing over Winter. I have to strip & clean the carb before I can use it, presumably because the petrol evaporate while standing & leaves behind oil that blocks the jets. Cleaning is easy enough but a bit of a pain. Can I just spray carb cleaner into the air filter intake & throttle chamber instead. Will it work without doing any damage to other parts of the carb.? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Modern fuel can be horrible stuff, I am out of touch with 2 strokes.
You could try carb cleaner but it does gum up, especially with added oil.

next year, clean the carb before storage so any fuel is still semi liquid

Modern fuel can be horrible stuff, I am out of touch with 2 strokes.
You could try carb cleaner but it does gum up, especially with added oil.

next year, clean the carb before storage so any fuel is still semi liquid
Thanks for that but no real difference between stripping it before I put it away or when I get it out in spring, looking for a lazy way of doing it to be totally honest.

My 2 stroke strimmer will never start in the spring after standing over Winter. I have to strip & clean the carb before I can use it, presumably because the petrol evaporate while standing & leaves behind oil that blocks the jets. Cleaning is easy enough but a bit of a pain. Can I just spray carb cleaner into the air filter intake & throttle chamber instead. Will it work without doing any damage to other parts of the carb.? Thanks
Waste of time and cleaner Spraying into the air intake unless the engine wont start .

Sponsored Links
My suggestion is to run the fuel system dry for the last cut of the year. Sucks all the oil out of the system. I've not had problems starting scince doing that.

You can save 99% of this bother by using ready mixed two stroke Aspen fuel or equivalent.....Stihl and Husqvarna do their own and it costs £20 for 5 litres.
It lasts for years either in the carb or can and doesn't affect the diaphragms inside the carb in the same way as ethanol fuels.
Better still, at the end of the season, run the machine until it conks out due to the fuel being gone.
There's no point in spraying cleaner into the air intake.
John :)

A friend of mine drains the fuel at season end and adds enough Aspen just to start and run it for a minute so theres no problem starting again next year.. 5 litres of liquid gold goes a long way with this method :LOL:

A friend of mine drains the fuel at season end and adds enough Aspen just to start and run it for a minute so theres no problem starting again next year.. 5 litres of liquid gold goes a long way with this method :LOL:

I was going to suggest same thing, Aspen fuel for last run of the season then stand it up.

Use it in my lad's motorcycle, generator etc.

Sponsored Links
Back