2 switch dimmer to 1 switch dimmer with 3 core cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed some wall lights from my lounge and now want to swap the 2 switch dimmer that was controlling these (and the ceiling light) with a 1 switch dimmer to control just the ceiling light.

I have noticed that to the switch is 3 core cable with 1 blue, 1 red and 1 yellow (as well as an earth). Please see image.

My question is how do I connect these to a single dimmer which I believe has three connections, C, L1 and L2?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Just replace the 2 gang dimmer with a one gang of the correct rating. Whichever colour does the ceiling light, reinstate that on L1. The red goes to common. Put the spare into a terminal block. Don't forget to fit an earth lead if the new switch is metal. Don't leave live wiring for the wall lights buried unidentified in the wall. Either remove the wiring and terminate safely under the floor using an MF JB or fix a box and blank plate where the wiring terminates to identify its position and allow access to the terminals.

Thanks for the advice,

I have already pulled the wall light cables up into the loft and am going to disconnect from the junction box. I also have an earth lead already in the switch casing.

Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back