2 switches, one light, 2 circuits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this can be done. Replacing Fluorsc., fixture in kitchen with 5 recessed. These are controlled by 2 switches (at opposite ends of the room). I wish to install a dimmer at one end. I also want to convert an existing light above my sink to operate only one of the recessed lights (again, above the sink). Can it be done?

Sponsored Links
mbcube said:
Not sure if this can be done. Replacing Fluorsc., fixture in kitchen with 5 recessed. These are controlled by 2 switches (at opposite ends of the room). I wish to install a dimmer at one end. That is the easy bit, you would need to buy a 2 -way dimmer*

I also want to convert an existing light above my sink to operate only one of the recessed lights (again, above the sink). Can it be done?
if you mean you want an existing switch to control one of the 5 new lights then, yes it cn be done, but it would involve a lot of alterations and relays, this is assuming it is to be able to turn it on /off independantly and still to reamin part of the 5 new lights (would have been easier if i said "NO")

*I assume you mean low voltage lights, if not dis regard the following: you will aslo requre a set of lights that have a dimable transformer, please check the lights before you get them, alternatively you could change the transfromer to one that can be dimmed, Over here in the U.K, lights are now coming with dimable transformers as "standard" but i am not sure about America

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back