Dressing table light with 2 switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have removed an old fluorescent tube light from above a dressing table recess between 2 built in wardrobes. It was operated by a light switch on the wall in the dressing table recess.
I have installed a new led light which has the live, earth and neutral wires ready identified for connection. It has its own on/off switch on the side of the new light unit. However, the wires I removed from the fluorescent tube were 2 of each live, earth and neutral.
I am guessing that these are a set from the switch in the dressing table recess and the other set of 3 from the supply. The supply being another light switch in the room next door.
Normal operation, I would like, would be to use the switch on the recess wall to switch the new light on and off. The new light unit is too high for normal operation to have to use the switch on the light unit.
How should I connect the 3 wires from the new light to the 6 wires that I disconnected from the old light fitting ? Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
upload_2019-9-18_19-4-10.png

The switch in the light itself will have to be ON, of course.

Thanks for your simple diagram, EFLImpudence. However, while the blue neutral at the top is clear and the green earth is clear and the live from the supply to the switch is clear, the live and neutral wire is unclear for me. There appears to be a live from the light to a connector where there is then a live and neutral "combined" wire to the switch. Can you please clarify ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello, EFLImpudence. I found out it's switched live. I have followed your diagram and it works !! ( But you knew it would, anyway :) ) For you, simple; for me achievement. Thanks a bundle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back