Swicth On,Off then On Again to Work - Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I started messing my kitchen had 2 fluorescant tubes (on 2 seperate walls) wired into a 3A Fused Switch.

i.e. this is a circuit off the mains rather than the lighting.

I am modernising my kitchen and have removed one of the upper kitchen units that housed a fluorescent tube.

In its place I have put up a nice frosted glass wall cabinet.

Because I didnt want any mouldings round the base of the unit, I have ditched the tube, and purchased 3 replacement light features.

2 x Glass Shelf Lights (Max 25W Each)
1 x Set of 3low voltage Downlights with Transformer (Max 20W Each)

I have recessed all the wiring into the wall behind the cabinet, and generally laid the circuit out well physically...........however............electrically I am having concerns.

The Cable that previously supplied one of the fluorescent tubes I have wired (Live,Earth, and Neutral) into a junction box.

From this junction box (Junction Box 1) I have wired the transformer for the 3 downlights (live and neutral from junction box to live and neutral on transformer). The downlights live and neutral are then wired into the transformer.

From Junction Box 1 I have then supplied live,earth and neutral to a second Junction Box (Junction Box 2)

I wound the Live wires from both Shelf Lights together
I wound the Neutral wires from both Shelf Lights together

I then connect the shelf light wiring to Junction box 2.

Job done I thought.

However,

When I switched the circuit on. The lights did not come on. So I switched it off again.I then in true bloke fashion switched it on again for a second try. It worked.

However,

One week on (after no issues for a week) and I have had the same problem.

Switch On. Nothing Comes On. Swicth Off then On Again, and it worked.

Except now the 3A Fused Socket started making a crackling noise, so I switched off, and am now mailing this forum!

Have I done something fundamentally wrong, or should I be searching for a loose connection?

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
have you checked the connections in said FCU? thats what usually causes "crackling" and problems such as this

Yes. I didnt see anything obvious. All connections were fully home and tight.

I have been doing some painting on the wall that the FCU lives on today. And there is an area of cracked plasterwork around the socket that could have allowed some paint to get in. However, there was no sign of paint when I removed the cover.

There was some loose debris and dust that had collected in the box though.

I was planning to replace the FCU anyway as part of my refurb. I shall do this as the next job, so as to see if it solves the issue.

Richard

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back