2 Way 2 Gang light switch wiring problems....please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i wonder if someone can help. I have been replacing my hall light switches, i did the first two no problem, just a case of swapping. But the third one is a nightmare. It is a light switch which has two switches on it, one controlling the light and the second controlling the bathroom fan. When i removed the switch, i then realised that it was diffferent than the other two. This one has 3 red wires, and a brown and a blue one. Anyone have any ideas where to put them on the new switch, the new switch has 2 com and 2 L1 and 2 L2. Any help would be so appreciated.
Thank you
Regards

Sponsored Links
I would assume it looks like this
switch-layout2.JPG
here shown split into the two switches.

The com shown 3 and 7 must have a wire so with brown and blue one would go into common the other into either L1 or L2 swapping L1 and L2 only changes which way switch is when on.

The three reds without more info can't say which wire goes where but again the com is the important one so trying all three combinations should not take too long. mark wires 1, 2, and 3, and try each one in com with other two in L1 and L2 until it works.

Again swapping L1 and L2 will only change which way switch goes for on and off it will not change how it works.

Of course safety first power off before changing anything.

Did you not make a note of where they went on the old switch?

Do you still have the old switch. Have you made sure that it has the same layout as the old one. The fan control part may be a different type.

Those wires that go into the box. How many cables are there and what are the colours of each. A photo might help.

Last Q. Do you have a multimeter?

switch-layout2.JPG

The com shown 3 and 7 must have a wire so with brown and blue one would go into common the other into either L1 or L2 swapping L1 and L2 only changes which way switch is when on.

The three reds without more info can't say which wire goes where but again the com is the important one so trying all three combinations should not take too long. mark wires 1, 2, and 3, and try each one in com with other two in L1 and L2 until it works.

Again swapping L1 and L2 will only change which way switch goes for on and off it will not change how it works.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. The old switch layout is different that the knew one, hence the confusion. I will go and try it now and let you know how i get on. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
switch-layout2.JPG

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. The old switch layout is different that the knew one, hence the confusion. I will go and try it now and let you know how i get on. Thanks again.

Just to clarify before i do it, the diagram you posted is like that of my old switch, the new one is slightly different. At the top there are two connections one one the left and one on the right marked common(both of them)..then at the bottom there is one L1 and L2 then on the right there is one L1 and L2.

have done as you said, light working :D .... however, when the switch is on its off and when its off its on :cry: Not sure why :confused: ... any ideas?

Tried moving the L wires about, now not working again. Have since discovered only since its been dark that the switch also seems to have some connection to the small cupboard light that is next to it.....which is also not working now.so am still stuck. Have put the Brown wire into common and the blue into L1. But still left with the 3 red wires. :cry:

does this switch work in conjunction with any other switch?
if not then 2 of the reds have to go together..

was getting really frustrated with it, so took a break....went back and disconnected it all again and started from scratch.... :oops: .... did the blue and brown wires first, then onto the red....did them one by one checking to see what worked when i did each wire and realsed that two of the wires go together.... :p it was just a case then of working out which two.... which i have now done.. :p the switch now working as it should and the right way round, Thanks to all who helped with their advice. Thank you. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back