2 Way Hallway Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help on this problem.

A while ago I replaced the hallway switch plates with brushed metal design and thought everything had been wired OK!! But, only recently have I noticed that there is an issue...

I live in a bungalow so there is a switch near the main door in the hallway (left) and a switch outside the furthest bedroom (right). The left switch works fine when the right switch is ON (down position). The right switch works fine when the left switch is OFF (up position).

When the right switch is OFF (up position) the left switch won't work and when the left switch is ON (down position) the right switch won't work.

I obviously didn't test this properly at the time of changing the plates and therefore have no recollection of actual wiring but I know I wired it as previous plate exactly, so maybe the fault was there before I changed the plates but didn't notice. We don't use the furthest bedroom much, hence the reason we haven't noticed until now.

I've posted photos of the 2 plates wiring...there are 3 red wires going into L2 on the right switch, which seems odd to me but I'm not an electrician! I'd be grateful if anyone can advise on how to correct this...maybe I'll have to get a sparky in to sort it, but thought I'd ask in here, just in case it's something glaringly obvious.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, on the right hallway switch you should have two wires in L2 and two in L3. So one of the reds is in the wrong hole.

I'm going to guess that you have a cable that comes into that box that has two reds in it and no other wires?. If so, try putting one of the reds in L2 and the other in L3, with the black.

Well, on the right hallway switch you should have two wires in L2 and two in L3. So one of the reds is in the wrong hole.

I'm going to guess that you have a cable that comes into that box that has two reds in it and no other wires?. If so, try putting one of the reds in L2 and the other in L3, with the black.

Thanks for the advice but no joy with your suggestion.

After further investigation (Right switch) there is one twin and earth cable (red into L1 and black into L3) and 3 separate twin core cables, each has red wire and earth...the 3 red wires are wired to L2.

Does that help any further?

No, you will have to determine which wires are which.

Do you have a multimeter and a length of wire which will reach from switch to switch?

Sponsored Links
Take better photos of BOTH switches which show each WIRE emerging from each CABLE.

This will help considerably.

Take better photos of BOTH switches which show each WIRE emerging from each CABLE.

This will help considerably.

It's really difficult to do that, as the cables are so tight that I can only just get them through the back box. I'll give it a go and post asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back