2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hallway which has 3 switches that operate the same set of lights.. one switch at each end of the hallway and one in the middle.
I would like to replace one of these switches with a timeswitch, and I have found one that says it is suitable for 1-way and 2-way circuits.
My question is : Is it ok to buy this one, or do I need a "3-way" switch, if such a thing exists?

Sponsored Links
if you are saying you have a long hall, which has 3 single gang switches (1 button on the switch) one at each end and one in the middle then the answer is yes.

How ever, i would suggest you put this new switch at one end, becuse one of your switches will be an intermaediate switch, (probably the middle one) which your new switch is not suitable for.

also to save grief, note the green bit of my signature

breezer said:
if you are saying you have a long hall, which has 3 single gang switches (1 button on the switch) one at each end and one in the middle then the answer is yes.

How ever, i would suggest you put this new switch at one end, becuse one of your switches will be an intermaediate switch, (probably the middle one) which your new switch is not suitable for.

also to save grief, note the green bit of my signature

Hi,

Sorry if i'm being fantastically dense, but I have some follow-up questions:
(a) Your sig says "search Note what goes where" - are you saying that I should search the site for "Note what goes where", or that I should just pay attention to what I put where when I take the current switches off?
(b) I was indeed saying that I have a long hall, which has 3 single switches, one at each end and one in the middle.. but in case it is important, the switches at the ends are in fact 2 gang, each operating the hall lights, and something else. Only the switch in the middle is single gang, and I had been thinking of putting the timer there.. which brings me to my question... did you mean "yes" I can buy they one i saw, or "yes" I should look for a 3-way switch?
Apologies for being a bit slow, I am not terribly diy-proficient.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ah, I have now found THIS PAGE which seems to answer my questions, and is surely what you were trying to tell me about. Many thanks

comma added to my signature.

i did mean to note which wire goes where in your existing switch.

since you now say each end switch is 2 gang (2 buttons) probability suggests the middle switch is an intermedaite, which the switch you were thinking of getting is NOT suitable.

BUT you can always check it first.

turn mains off, undo the 2 fixing screws of the middle switch and see does it have 4 wires connected to the actual switch. if it does then it is an intermeadiate switch.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
turn mains off, undo the 2 fixing screws of the middle switch and see does it have 4 wires connected to the actual switch. if it does then it is an intermeadiate switch.

Great stuff, thanks very much - you have been extremely helpful.
I haven't used this site before, but it seems to be excellent, with many very knowledgable people. I, for one, am grateful for your valuable advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back