Add a third switch to existing 2 way light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to add a third switch to an existing arrangement. Here's how it operates just now...

Downstairs switch (three switches).
One operates the Outside Porch
One operates the Downstairs light
One operates the Upstairs light - 2 way system

Upstairs switch (one switch).
This operates the Upstairs light only - 2 way system

NEW switch in Upstairs hallway.
I need to run a cable from the new switch to the existing switch to operate a 3 way system to work the upstairs light but how should I cable it ie. which cables to which terminals? I've been looking at the WIKI area of this site which shows a diagram of a 3 way system with intermediate. But does it mean I have to change the Upstairs switch to become the Intermediate switch and then the NEW Upstairs Hallway switch becomes the 2 Way switch? :confused: Please help.

I attach photographs to show you what I'm trying to explain.

Hope someone can help me out there.

Thank you, Danni

Sponsored Links
You need to run an intermediate switch.

It will be easier to help if when you take some pictures of the wiring behind the switches? ;)

If your 2 way is wired in the 'conversion method' which I guess it might be and the upstairs is the second switch, then its a matter of replacing the upstairs switch with an intermediate switch, run 3core+earth to the new switch and use the old upstairs switch here.

But pics will determine this :)

Hi ChrisLee765,

I'm not too good at using this site yet. I thought I added pictures showing cables behind the switches - can't you view them? :oops:

Danni

Sponsored Links
Thank you Holmslaw. That makes complete sense to me. Much appreciated.

Danni

No I couldn't see them :(

I'm pleased you understood holmslaw's description, happy wiring :)

Oops. I'll have another try at downloading pics next time (cos I'm sure there will be a next time!) Thanks for your help too ChrisLee765.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back