2 way light switches - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I got a bit ahead of myself

I am changing the fronts on 2x 2 way light switches.
Having taken apart the first light switch there was a piece of red wire between the 2 sides, but I am now unsure which points it came from.

Plus for one side there is one in (the double end) and then one out at the other and on the other side 2 in at the double end and none out. is this where the extra piece of cable comes in?

Also the previous fronts were plastic and the earth connects to a screw inside the wall - however the new ones are metal - does that mean I have to reconnect to the box itself?

Any advice really would be helpful - and how dangerous is it to test if I am unsure that it is all correctly wired?

Sponsored Links
Plus for one side there is one in (the double end) and then one out at the other and on the other side 2 in at the double end and none out. is this where the extra piece of cable comes in?
yes

Old2way.png

Also the previous fronts were plastic and the earth connects to a screw inside the wall - however the new ones are metal - does that mean I have to reconnect to the box itself?
the earth must be connected to the earth terminal on the faceplate. If the box is metal and neither lug is fixed then it also needs a link to the earth terminal in the box.

thanks for that

I now know how it should all be wired up - however the earth in one of the back plates is not long enough to reach the right part of the plate, and if the plate is switched to up side down some of the other wires will no longer reach.

How easy is it to sort this - can I get the same wire to extend and then just insulate it?

Just go to the terminal in the backbox first and then run a link wire to the plate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back