2 way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I have installed new light switches in my hall and landing however I can't get them to work, there are two red wires and one black wire each switch can any one help please

Sponsored Links
it depends on how the person that installed it wired it. i am sorry to say but in your case it will have to be a case of trial and error.

you should have one wire in each terminal of each switch

C, L1 & L2 as there are only 3 possible combinations for each switch (all wires must be used) it should not take that long. Also if you get the light to work at one switch first (leave the 2nd switch not connected (but do put connector strip on it for saftey) then when you have one switch working do exactly the same to the other switch (but leave the first switch in the "off" postion) it should work fine.

The problem with 2 way switching is not knowing what colours who installed it used, and the fact that at first the second switch will cause "complications" if you have it connected when you start. that is why i suggest you get just one switch to work first.

The other thing is your new switches must have 3 terminals C, L1 & L2
or Common 1 way 2way

Sponsored Links
Also the school boy method you show is unusual in homes, this
two-way-real.jpg
is the more normal method as you don't end up with connector blocks in the switch back box, however what seems unusual is only three wires to each switch
Alt-two-way-wiring.jpg
so more likely as second diagram with a joint in the ceiling rose, although I know it is an option, never seen it done.

Today with smart switches there are also many more options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back