2 way switch controlling 2 separate lights replacement (new build)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to replace my light switches in my house (built 2019) but last time I did l this in my old house things looked simpler. Please see the attached photos of the old switch and the new switch. I'm confused where to put the wires in the new switch. This switch in particular controls a light outside and the halway light.

Any help is much appreciated.
17123148131636483607072169841343.jpg
1712314871769320655070508467543.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your old switch is two triangles the same way up; the new switch is two triangles with one upside down.

Just mark the wires before disconnecting so you don't mix them up and then copy exactly.

1712315541814.png

COM and L1 of one switch (right), go to COM1 and L11.

COM and L1 of second switch (left), go to COM2 and L21.

You must also ensure you attach an earth wire to the earth terminal of the new switch, to the green/yellow earth, I see tucked away at the back there.

[EDITED TO CORRECT]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
COM and L1 of one switch (right), go to COM1 and L11.

COM and L1 of second switch (left), go to COM2 and L12.

You must also ensure you attach an earth wire to the earth terminal of the new switch, to the green/yellow earth, I see tucked away at the back there.
Thank you very much for the speedy response. I'll be sure to attach the earth as this switch has a metal faceplate.

Thank you very much for the speedy response. I'll be sure to attach the earth as this switch has a metal faceplate.
Sorry to bother you Harry. Did you mean L21 on the second (left switch)

Yep, sorry and well spotted. COM1, L11, and L12 form one switch, COM2, L21 and L22 form the other, three terminals to each switch.
I'm annoyed with myslf, I read you initial response and accepted it as correct as some makes have used COM1, L11, L21 for one switch, COM2, L12, L22 for the other. So I didn't bother to double check you.

EDIT: This isn't part of advice to Pipwa, just an aside to the different numbering practices:
I've even been out on a job where the householder had both of those combinations at a switch swap, took pictures and excellent notes as he didn't want to get it wrong. the irony being it would have worked properly if the 2 lighting circuits hadn't been on RCBOs

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back