2-way switch - have searched but can't find the answer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have power & light in my garage which is supplied from the main consumer unit, so I have a double 13A powerpoint which feeds a 3A connection box with switch which in turn feeds the single lightswitch. The wiring inside the switch has the blue core connected together and the brown is connected via the switch, earth is also connected using a terminal block, final cable connects to the light fitting.

Can I convert this to a 2-way switch setup? If so how as I can't work how to do this as it is different from the other examples described.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2-way, as in you need 2 switches? If so, you need 2 no. 2-way switches.

put your existing 2 browns into L1 and L2 on the new switch, then run 3Core+Earth between the 2 switches. connect the 3 cores to L1, L2 and COM at both ends.

see the wiki that is what its for, but in you case ignore the two connected together

Crafty & Breezer, thanks for your pointers and I think it makes more sense now.

Not having done one of these before I just want to make sure I have got it right so I have hacked about a couple of wiring diagrams showing current and proposed:-

Current setup
current.gif

Setup for 2-way switching
new.gif

Help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back