2 Way switch wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I am changing a switch to a bathroom where one switch controls extractor (left switch) and right switch controls a light. I have wired up and am getting nothing from left switch and if right switch is used both lights and extractor fan are on....
lights2015.png

I have labeled wires using A, B, C etc and connections numbered in green. Could anyone let me know what wires go where to get the switch working right?

Many thanks.

Richard

Sponsored Links
What happens when right switch is off? (you may have to turn the left one on first to see)

If the switches are in the off position nothing happens. So both switches off - no lights, no extractor, Left switch on - nothing. Right switch on both lights and extractor are on.

Sponsored Links
The layout of the back of the old switch was significantly different - I have a similar problem before which was solved on here so I didn't think I would have had the same problem again.

Not as as far as I can see - have also noticed that light to landing is no longer working - I'm sure once the correct wiring is used this will probably work OK

A more detailed description on how things are currently working would tell us where each wire needs to go. At the moment it doesn't quite make enough sense.

However, if you can trace each wire, the light wire goes in one of the L1s. The fan wire goes in the remaining L1. Each remaining wire goes in each COM, with the link between the COMs.

Do you have a two pole voltage indicator, the thing we and you need to know, is which cable is the permanent live one.

Last edited:
Since light and fan operate together it is safe to assume that A and C are to the lamp and fan. ( either way round ) Also there for saf to assume that B is the incoming supply.

D is probably a feed to some other lamp or the permanent Live to the fan if it has a timer.

So I would suggest that the correct wiring is D and B are linked by the bridge wire and A and C are not linked.

Currently - you mean before I took the old switch off? Sorry I really should have made more of a note of the wires. I had a similar problem a year or so ago which was answered on this thread...//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/confused-by-wiring-on-light-switch.409869/

Please ignore the labeling used as those may not correspond to the wires now.

I mean currently, as it is now. I would say your description how it appears to be working now is lacking something as I can't quite determine how to swap those wires around without you having to get a test meter, which PBoD has now suggested.

Since light and fan operate together it is safe to assume that A and C are to the lamp and fan. ( either way round ) Also there for saf to assume that B is the incoming supply.

D is probably a feed to some other lamp or the permanent Live to the fan if it has a timer.

So I would suggest that the correct wiring is D and B are linked by the bridge wire and A and C are not linked.

So are you thinking...

D - 1
B - 2
A - 3
C - 4

with the lights on the landing not working your assumption of D feeding off to that seems logical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back